Optum is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The health solutions marketplace is hungry for new ideas, innovative products and software that drives elevated performance for the business and the customer. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is feeding incredible solutions to that marketplace every day by bringing out the best in our software engineering teams. We serve customers across the health system. Not only do we have more of them every day, we also have more technology, greater data resources and far broader expertise than any competitor anywhere. We're out to change the way our businesses and consumers engage with technology. If you're in, you'll be challenged like never before. It's time to join this history making.
As a Senior Java Software Engineer you will be part of the team that is improving provider experience within applications in Optum and transforming it to a modernized platform. If you ever wanted to be part of major application redesign, this is the position for you. From solution design, to development, performance tuning, acceptance test and implementation you will be and hands on agent of change.
The complexity of this role can be challenging. We deal with huge amounts of data across our entire enterprise. Everything you work on will have implications that impact others. We'll provide the most up-to-date technology, but you'll need to provide creativity, critical thinking and clarity on an everyday basis.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and continuously improve software
- Translate product concepts into project commitments that deliver incremental value to our customers frequently and with high quality
- Participate in Agile / Scrum methodology to deliver high-quality software releases
- Performing all phases of software engineering including requirements analysis, application design, code, test, deploy, and support
- Review code and provide feedback relative to best practices and improving performance
- Troubleshoot production support issues post-deployment and come up with solutions as required
- Be innovative in solution design and development to meet the needs of the business
- Working very closely with Architecture group and driving technical solutions
- Expected to adapt in dynamic and collaborative work environment and make independent decision
- Collaborate to meet project timelines
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Solid understanding of engineering fundamentals: unit testing, code reviews, Agile and DevOps
- Experience working with at least one of the following: continuous integration / continuous delivery tools, REST API development, serverless architecture, containerization, IaC, public / private cloud, application observability and / or messaging / stream architecture
- Experience working within an Agile / Scrum Methodology
- Ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
Technology Careers with Optum.
- Understanding of distributed architecture design principles
- Development experience in Java and related tools / software
- Experience working in the healthcare industry
- Business rule engine experience
- Experience working in Unix / Linux environments
- Experience with the following:
- Streaming technology i.e. Kafka
- Cloud - Open Shift
- Database - NoSQL, DB2
- Microservice architecture
- Web Development - React, Angular
Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Senior Java Software Engineer, Java, Agile, Scrum, DevOps, Python, cloud, technology, Basking Ridge, NJ, New Jersey
Architecture Design And Assessment Systems
Scrum (Software Development)
Agile Software Development