Intertek, a leading provider of ATIC (Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification) Services, is hiring an Engineer to join the Electrical team based in Cortland, NY.
The electrical team provides assurance, testing, inspection and certification for a variety of electric products, including appliances, consumer electronics, lighting, medical devices, information communications technology, HVACR, industrial, and energy transmission and distribution. Our dedicated professionals help ensure the quality and safety of electrical products used by people throughout the world.Role & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for performing electrical testing and evaluation on a variety of products to the provisions of U.S., Canadian and other International product safety standards; writing reports; and communicating with clients. Under the guidance of a more senior engineer, conduct on and off site evaluation of products to determine compliance with applicable standard(s). To do this, Engineer must:
• Read and determine applicability of national codes and standards clauses for the EUT (equipment under test);
• Read and understand schematics and manufacturing instructions;
• Validate the project scope and sample applicability;
• Under scope of the project, identify and locate test instruments and equipment required for testing;
• Follow established test plan;
• Set up and operate EUT; perform and document simple repairs on EUT as needed;
• Conduct thorough construction review; document results;
• Perform testing of products in accordance with standards. Core tests include, but are not limited to: rating, leakage current, dielectric, temperature, pressure, stability, mechanical hazard, flammability, abnormal and fault insurance, rain, radiation, sound, laser.
• Complete preliminary design reviews (PDR) both on and off site.
• Develop and set up test plans.
• Set up and operate standard test equipment including, but not limited to, spectrum analyzer, oscilloscope, multimeter, dielectric strength tester, ground continuity tester, digital multi-meter, surge generator, over-voltage tester, environmental condition chamber, articulated probes. Use hand tools to build/calibrate test fixtures.
• Following sample handling procedures, ensure that sample is logged into and out of the system. Move equipment as needed through the facility. Properly package sample for shipment.
• Compile test results during construction review and testing. Compile data and product description and type final report using established report shell. Submit report to reviewer for final approval.
• Communicate project status and test results to client, sales personnel, and management throughout testing. Provide on-going support to clients as needed.
• Within policy guidelines, identify, properly document, and recommend engineering judgments.
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (or related field)
• 0-2+ years directly related experience
• Demonstrated experience with U.S., Canadian, and other International product safety standards, i.e., ANSI, CSA, UL, EN, IEC is a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent organization and time
• management skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Must be self-motivated and able to work
• independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
• Prior project management experience is
• a plus
• Ability to define problems, collect
• data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
• Ability to interpret an extensive
• variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal
• with several abstract and concrete variables
• Ability to make technical decisions and
• engineering judgments independently within established parameters
• Ability to travel
A career with Intertek means joining a global network of professionals dedicated to bringing quality and safety to life. Our vision is to become the world’s most trusted partner for Quality Assurance and we offer our employees the chance to make an impact with attractive growth opportunities in this industry on a global scale.
We offer a salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.