WHAT IS THE LARGE BUSINESS INTERNATIONAL (LBI) DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to AMENDED - Senior Revenue Agent (Examiner)
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:
Large Business and International, Director, Western Compliance Practice Area
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
* Serves as a technical expert in examinations of significant tax compliance issues and provides expert advice that may impact tax compliance strategy and the examination program as a whole.
* Drafts or reviews work projects involving emerging issues and areas of non-compliance.
* Serves as an issue expert in the examination of LB&I returns. Exercises significant authority and responsibility in planning, directing, and coordinating the examination of certain significant complex issues.
* Serves as a lead for other revenue agents and specialists assigned to an examination and counsel attorneys. Leads the team in conferences with appeals, including issue resolution meetings such as fast track. May be assigned to multiple examinations simultaneously.
* Functions as a resource in certain technical areas of expertise. Collaborates and coordinates with other experts, revenue agents, counsel attorneys, appeals officers, and/or specialists throughout IRS to leverage and expand expertise and ensure consistent application and interpretation of tax laws within those areas.
* Serves as coach and mentor to team by leveraging technical expertise and audit techniques and experience appropriate for certain areas of issue specialization. Provides advice to examiners, specialists, or counsel attorneys, regarding a defined area of issues and transactions and involving complex cases, significant issues, and emerging areas of high compliance risk. Resolves complex tax issues involving overall structures, issues, and transactions requiring in-depth knowledge, originality, and creativity.
Conditions of Employment
STANDARD POSITION DESCRIPTIONS (SPD):
Visit the IRS SPD Library to access the position descriptions.
* If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
* Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or a bachelor's or higher degree in accounting that included at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management, or finance.
A bachelor's or higher degree in a field other than accounting or a combination of education and experience equivalent to 4 years that included at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above.
Currently or previously held an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 position for at least one year.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-14 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
Experience in progressively responsible and diversified professional accounting or auditing work that required applying professional accounting principles, theory, and practices to analyze and interpret accounting books, records, or systems specifically to determine their effect on Federal tax liabilities and their adequacy for recording transactions affecting tax liabilities; Interpreting and applying Federal tax law for individuals, business and/or exempt organizations, partnerships and corporations; Researching business and trade practices to develop tax issues based on analysis and evaluation of overall business operations and financial condition; Interpreting and analyzing the tax implications of corporate financial transactions and financial management principles and practices; Interacting with a broad range of individuals and negotiating with specialists in accounting, legal, tax, and other similar business-related professions.
ADDITIONAL SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-14: Using analytical and evaluative techniques, both qualitative and quantitative, sufficient to gather, identify, evaluate, and develop work methods and approaches to resolve complex issues. Dealing tactfully and persuasively with sophisticated taxpayers and stakeholders, to explain complex interpretation of tax laws and to resolve issues. Conducting exams and investigations of large, complex corporate and partnership tax returns. Analyzing financial statements for publicly and/or non-publicly traded businesses. Applying expert knowledge of tax law and IRS policies and practices in determining tax liability of those businesses. Coordinating or performing as a team member a full cycle (planning, execution, and resolution phases) of an of an Industry Case (IC), Large Corporate Compliance (LCC), Large Partnership Compliance (LPC) or Compliance Assurance Process (CAP) case.
MEET TIME IN GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT: For positions above the GS-05, applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year (52 weeks) at the next lower grade level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the grade you are applying for.
TIME AFTER COMPETITIVE APPOINTMENT: By the closing date (or if this is an open continuous announcement, by the cut-off date) specified in this job announcement, current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest non-temporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment. For this requirement, a competitive appointment is one where you applied to and were appointed from an announcement open to "All US Citizens".
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
A copy of your transcripts or equivalent documentation is required for positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying based on education or a combination of education and experience. An official transcript will be required if you are selected. If the position has specific education requirements and you currently hold, or have previously held, a position in the same job series with the IRS, there is no need to submit a transcript or equivalent at this time. Applicants are encouraged, but are not required, to submit an SF-50 documenting experience in a specific series.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
* We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
* The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
* This is a bargaining unit position.
* Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday, Day Shift
* Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
* Relocation expenses - will not be paid.
* If this position is covered by a formal development plan, pay retention will be offered where applicable based on law and regulation.
Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
* These are the locations and the number of current vacancies available: 50 total vacancies as follows: 4 in Glendale [CA6218], 2 in El Monte [CA7023], 1 in Laguna Niguel [CA0521], 1 in Los Angeles [CA0150], 2 in Long Beach [CA0273], 2 in San Diego [CA0316], 1 in San Francisco [CA0154], 1 in San Mateo [CA8280], 1 in San Rafael [CA8211], 2 in San Jose [CA6116], 2 in Honolulu [HI8469], 1 in Sacramento [CA6139], 3 in Salt Lake City [UT1522], 1 in Las Vegas [NV7516], 3 in San Antonio [TX2982], 2 in Austin [TX2835], 3 in Houston [TX0297], 7 in Houston [TX0298], 4 in Farmers Branch [TX0302], 1 in Fort Worth [TX2653], 2 in Omaha [NE0051], 3 in Oklahoma City [OK1356], 1 in Tulsa [OK1431].
* The number of vacancies has not yet been determined for Oakland [CA0281], Portland [OR0043], Denver [CO1811], Phoenix [AZ7748].
- Certified Public Accountant
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Commercial Laws