GDIT currently has an opportunity in Indian Head, MD to support the Naval Ordnance Safety & Security Activity (NOSSA) and their mission as a Help Desk Technician. The Help Desk Technician will be responsible for providing end-user support to 120 staff members at NOSSA over and above the desktop support provided by NMCI/NGEN.
This position will also provide Tier I support for a Navy web-based application with approximately 4,000 monthly users.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing end-user support via phone calls, emails, and walk-in requests, and advise users when to contact or escalate problems to the NMCI/NGEN service desk.
- Provide answers to general end-user questions about Windows and office productivity applications.
- Create and periodically update inventory records for all hardware/software used by the organization.
- Assist with setup and support of conference room equipment and provide technical support for employees and visitors during meetings.
- Maintain government-owned equipment, submit repair requests as needed, and/or submit supply requisitions for consumables.
- Provide end-user assistance and training for user-initiated file backups and restores.
- Check-in/out new users and departing users, insuring all government equipment is properly assigned or returned and property passes are issued.
- Troubleshoot mobile wireless device problems and assist users with software updates/configuration of mobile devices.
- Provide user training and initial setup of laptops and remote access software for users who are traveling or teleworking.
- Document excess equipment and prepare documentation for defense re-utilization process.
- Monitor usage of network file shares, access control lists, and relocate files/folders as needed for organizational changes.
- Responsible for managing all incoming communication to “webmaster” mailbox and responding to or escalating requests.
- Perform screening and validation of all new web user account requests before authorizing account creation.
- Maintain documentation for the account management process for web user accounts.
- Perform periodic audits of web user accounts and request updated documentation from users or purge accounts if necessary.
- Prepare monthly metrics for web user account management activity.
Knowledge and skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office suite (especially Microsoft Excel)
- Strong experience with Adobe Acrobat Reader/Pro productivity tools
- Skilled with Apple iOS mobile operating system and the Apple App Store
- Basic web navigation skills and knowledge of web terminology
- Skilled in organizing and managing multiple concurrent tasks
- Skilled working in a team environment
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree, or related technical certificate from a technical school or recognized vocational program preferred
- Five years of equivalent work experience in-lieu of education
- DoD 8570 – IAT Level I certification is required or must be obtainable within 6 months
- DOD Secret clearance.
- Prior experience providing technical support in a business environment
- Ability and willingness to evaluate and learn new technologies and apply them effectively
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training, and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs, and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.