The Service Driver operates Alternate Vehicles to transport passengers over specific routes according to roster schedules and/or as requested service. Service Drivers interact with passengers in a courteous and helpful manner. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Drives Alternate Vehicles to transport passengers safely and courteously according to manifest schedules.
- Drives Alternate Vehicles over specified routing, subject to change as the service demand changes.
- Required to add and/or remove trips via the mobile data terminal and/or as directed by METRO’s Bus Control Staff and/or Community Connector Dispatch.
- Driver may make only designated stops in the order prescribed as communicated by Roster, Mobile Data Terminal, METRO’s Bus Control, and/or METROLift’s Dispatch Office for the optimization of all routes.
- Responsible for documenting trip problems on the day of service; to include all required information.
- Report as required to meet schedules and communicate the progress of routes. Complete, in a clear and legible manner a trip manifest and daily vehicle mileage log for each shift worked.
- If a designated passenger cannot be located at an assigned location, the METRO Dispatcher is notified of the “No Ride” by the driver prior to leaving the location.
- Drivers are required to assist patrons to and from their door if requested. In the event that a patron fails to meet the vehicle, the driver is required to go to the door, or if not at home, inside the building, on the first floor, or near the main entrance.
- Drivers should not leave sight of the vehicle if there are patrons inside the vehicle.
- Driver is responsible to ensure that patrons with physical and/or cognitive disabilities are handed over to proper caretakers at all destinations.
- Conducts a Pre-trip inspection of alternate vehicle to include the radio system, mobile data terminals, and makes records of any defects on defect cards.
- Complies with ADA requirements when executing duties
- Be sensitive to patron’s needs and must be able to handle patron complaints, rudeness, and problems as required.
- When requested by METRO, distribute notices to passengers and/or otherwise render assistance.
- Required to announce to patrons destinations, transfer points, and intersections to remain oriented of their location during their ride.
- Complies with local traffic regulations.
- Follows procedures for the collection, processing, and documentation of fares on ticket envelopes and counting passengers as required.
- Reports and properly follows up on all accidents or unusual incidents in, on, or near METRO vehicles.
- Provide courteous and respectful customer service to customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED is required.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum of two (2) years general work experience to include driving experience and customer service experience. Minimum of two (2) years continuous employment in a direct public contact position is preferred. Must be a minimum of 19 years of age. Must have been a licensed driver for at least two (2) years.
Knowledge & Skills Required
A valid Texas Driver’s license is required for the job and must meet METRO’s requirements regarding motor vehicle records. No criminal convictions or DWI, DUI, assault or possession of controlled substances. Must be able to complete and pass pre-employment performance evaluation. Department of Transportation (DOT) physical, drug and alcohol screen and background investigation and pre-employment assessments and tests. The ability to determine the location of any address and arrive on time by use of a key map or the electronic mobile data terminal. Must be sensitive to passengers’ needs and must be able to handle patron complaints, rudeness and problems as required.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.