Shipfitter/Fabricator (Multi-Pass Tack & Burn) - Newport News VA 12-month contract.
Max Pay $27.31/hr BOE
U.S. Citizen required
2 Opening for this role.
Client is requiring all personnel to be fully vaccinated or be fully vaccinated by Dec 8th
Four years of commercial/naval experience as a first class Shipfitter. Experience must be documented on "Advanced Shipfitter Summary Sheet" prior to arrival at NNS.
1. Multi-Pass Tack Welding.
2. Burning-Oxygen/Propane Burning Torch.
3. Heating-Oxygen/Propane Heating Torch.
4. Ability to comprehend complex structural assembly drawings, blueprints, and sketches to include weld symbols, material types, datum, and reference lines.
5. Ability to comprehend fractional dimensions as with the use of a ruler.
6. Ability to layoff piece parts for fabrication and assembly.
7. Ability to assemble structural piece parts in accordance with specifications in a quality manner.
8. Experience working in a physically demanding environment (shipbuilding, steel fabrication, etc.).
9. Familiarity with OSHA regulations relative to the shipbuilding industry.
10. Use vibratory tools (grinders and needle guns).
11. Air Carbon Arc Gouging.
12. Ability to use Work Packages and Drawings to plan and execute work.
13. Ability to use Molded Lines and Ship Reference Lines to execute required work.
14. Ability to Erect, Set and Makeup Complex-shaped Shell Plates.
15. Ability to Erect, Set and Makeup Decks, Bulkheads, Longitudinal, trunks, etc,
16. Ability to Install and Replace Hull Inserts and Penetrations, Ability to Install Miscellaneous and Complex Foundations.
1. Rigger/Material Handling
2. Optical instrument experience (Level, Transit)
3. Shipwright / Erect & Set experience.
4. Tank Testing
5. Mobile equipment operation (JLG, Scissor Lift, etc.)
Tack Welding Qualification:
All Shipfitters will be required to pass a Multi-Pass Tack Welder Qualification Test upon reporting for the first day of work. This test will be:
A. Using the Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) Process.
B. With MIL-10718-M (A-5A) Filler Metal of MIL-E-22200/1.
C. In both the Vertical Up (3F) and Overhead (4F) positions.
The Welding School will administer the following tests:
A. Multi-Pass Tack Weld consisting of:
• One (1) hour practice
• One (1) hour Vertical test
• One (1) hour Overhead test
B. Visual Inspection of Weld Level I
• Six (6) hours.
Prior to performing work at Our client, all Shipfitters must successfully pass, without training, the above tests at the Our client’s welding school.
Required Safety Training / Qualifications:
Leased Labor Provider Company (LLPC) shall provide employees who have completed the following safety training and /or medical clearance. Leased Labor Provider Company shall provide documentation (copy of training, records, medical clearances, etc.) on Company Letterhead to Our client’s Environmental, Health and Safety Department (O27) for review and approval prior to assignment of employees to work at Newport News.
All Personal Protective Equipment (PPE*) is to be provided by the Leased Labor Provider Company. All Personal Protective Equipment provided by the Leased Labor Provider Company shall meet the requirements of OSHA and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and /or as specified by Newport News.
1.Confined space trained in accordance with OSHA Standards 29 CFR 1915 Subpart B.
2.Hazard communication trained in accordance with OSHA Standard 29CFR 1915.1200 (1910.1200) (h) – (1) through (3) (iv).
3.Respirator trained and qualified. A Respirator Medical Clearance Examination as required by a Physician. The Respirator Training and Fit Testing will meet the requirements of Standard 29CFR1910.134 and each individual shall be trained in a negative-pressure type
respirator, MSA COMFO CLASSIC. Our client requires the use of a MSA COMFO CLASSIC Respirator only (approximate weight 12 oz.). Daily use of respirator may occur.
4.Fall Protection/Body Harness Training in accordance with the following OSHA Regulations; 29CFR1915.159, 29CFR1915.71 (j) (3), 29CFR1915.73 (d), and 29CFR1915.77 (c) training and qualification is required. Our client highly recommends the vest-donning type of body harness instead of the step-into-type body harness, with D-Ring in the back. Individuals must be trained (which includes having donned the body harness) with the same type harness that they are expected to wear on Our client’s premises or on off-site Our client’s work locations. Body Harness shall comply with the requirements of ANSI Z359.1. NNS may require 60’ Self Retracting Lifelines that are Leading Edge compliant and a Quick Grab. NNS uses the FallTech DuraTech Edge SRL-LE. NNS uses the Miller Rope Grab. This rope grab must fit 5/16” carbon steel wire rope.
5.Personal Protective Equipment (PPE*) training in accordance with OSHA Standards 29CFR 1915 Subpart I and Hearing Conversation 29CFT 1910.95 (i) (j) (k) (l).
6. Non-prescription and prescription safety glasses must meet the requirements of ANSI Z87, with permanently attached side shields.
7. Hard Hats must be WHITE in color with the Leased Labor Provider Company’s name and the individual's last name on the front of the hard hat. All Leased Labor personnel engaged in Welding must wear either the Fiber Metal Type 1 Class C or the MSA Skullgard Class A Hard Hat only.
8.Hearing protection must be of the muff type (banded or mounted) and must have been trained on their use. Our client uses the Bilsom Leightning (model L1N).
9.Foot protection must be 8” safety boots or leather safety shoes w/spats.
10.Coveralls must be flame resistant with long sleeves.
11. Audiometric testing which documents proof of individual worker’s hearing function. The Leased Labor Provider Company shall ensure those individuals performing audiometric testing meet requirements listed in OSHA Regulation 29CFR1910.95 (g) (3) and that the audiometric test results are fully explained to each individual by the testing firm. The individual shall sign the test reports as proof of having received verbal communication of the test results.
12. The physical work effort expected is demanding. The temperature and humidity extremes that may be encountered are the result of ambient temperature and humidity levels in the work area.
13. Hexavalent Chromium medical examinations and clearances.
14.Full welding jacket.
15. Welding shield leather bib.
• PPE training means general requirements, eye and face protection, head protection, foot protection, hand and body protection, hearing protection, and body harness-personal fall arrest systems (PFAS) and position device systems.
- Safety Training
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Overhead (Business)
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding
- Code Of Federal Regulations
- Aerial Work Platforms