Teledyne Storm Microwave has been providing high quality interconnect products and cable assemblies to domestic and international defense and telecom markets since 1978.
Located near Chicago, Illinois, Teledyne Storm Microwave was one of the first companies to offer high performance flexible and semi-rigid RF/Microwave cable assemblies with low density, tape-wrapped dielectric.
Today, Teledyne Storm Microwave is well known not only for quality products but also for quality customer relations based on an ongoing commitment to honesty and integrity. Building on our decades of microwave transmission line design experience, we continue to solve engineers' interconnect problems by combining leading technology with the Storm legacy of responsive, flexible, committed customer service.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Teledyne Storm Microwave, a leading manufacturer of RF/Microwave cable assemblies, is looking for an experienced Materials Manager for our Woodridge, IL facility.
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present and future material availability.
- Negotiates or supervises the negotiation of complex requests for equipment, supplies, and services from suppliers and subcontractors.
- Arranges for disposal of surplus materials.
- Assures that the commodity is delivered on schedule, at the negotiated price, and meets the quality standards of the company.
- Directs subordinates to achieve assignments using established guidelines, procedures and policies by providing leadership to a unit or group of employees, assigning tasks and checking work at frequent intervals to ensure production goals are met within organization goals of budget, time requirements and high level of quality.
- Generally supervises lower level supervisors and/or professional staff and may supervise semi-skilled nonexempt employees which include some or all of the following: assemblers, technicians, machinists, welders, operators and clerical support, providing guidance to employees according to established policies and management guidance.
- Ensure that departments within the organization reach goals within budget and a high level of quality.
- Interacts with subordinates and/or functional peer groups regarding exchange or presentation of information.
- Determines work schedules and overtime (if applicable) and allocation of resources and equipment according to material schedules. Resolves problems as they occur.
- Pursues new ways to improve the efficiency of production. Develops, plans, and administers procedures. Recommends changes to unit or sub-unit policies. Coordinates, develops and implements standard operating procedures for functional area.
- Manages the adherence to prescribed procedures to ensure first pass quality meets or exceeds planned goals.
- Confers with department supervisors or leads to determine status of assigned projects.
- Prepares reports.
- Identifies obstacles to achieving business goals and provides solutions or seeks assistance.
- Ensures the working environment is clean, organized and safe for employees at all times. Understands and ensures staff complies with all safety and environmental policies and practices.
- Works to avoid erroneous decisions or failure to achieve results that may cause scrap, rework, use of excessive overtime, and/or delays in schedules.
- Prepares and presents budgetary recommendations.
- Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors, outside customers, and functional peer groups at various management levels. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others, conducting presentations of technical information concerning specific project/schedules.
- Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals and deadlines.
This job provides general supervision to a functional area which may include supervision of lower level supervisors and direct supervision of other exempt and non-exempt personnel. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include providing leadership to employees, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management – Communicates changes and progress.
- Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Gives and welcomes feedback; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Builds team relations.
- Leadership/Managing People - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Comes to the forefront in case of URL blocked - click to apply, and is URL blocked - click to apply to think and URL blocked - click to apply in URL blocked - click to apply ways in difficult situations; Holds team accountable; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes him/herself available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethics; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization’s goals and values.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism – Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions;
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures including using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required and wearing company issued badge when on company property; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Initiative – Seeks increased responsibilities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Generates suggestions for improving work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in a related positions and 2-5 years of directly related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret various business documents, technical procedures and government regulations. Ability to write reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and response to questions before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have a general knowledge of the Microsoft Office and ERP/MRP Software.
Position may require one or more of the following (Site/CBU Specific):
Other Essential Duties
- Follows all import/export requirements, consulting with facility import/export personnel as required.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Basic Knowledge of ISO and/or AS9100
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing/6 Sigma/Kaizen
- Knowledge of specific software (design, analysis, ERP…)
- Active Government Security Clearance
- US Citizenship with ability to attain/maintain government security clearance.
- Ability to travel (domestically/internationally) approximately ___%
Complex Problem Solving