Are you an ambitious, enthusiastic leader with a desire to guide teams in achieving established goals and is interested in producing good food, responsibly for families across America? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
In Operations, you would be on the front-line of the business; overseeing production, tracking product yields, and making necessary adjustments. Ensuring that safety and USDA health standards are met throughout all steps of the manufacturing process. You would be a key player in upholding the trusted quality in which Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other brands are known to possess.
This position is responsible for planning, leading, guiding, directing, and managing a specific plant or area of a plant consistent with policies and procedures of Smithfield as well as with Federal, state, and local law. Accountable for the high quality of all products produced, the profitability of the facility, the safety of employees, security of the facility, budget planning, management and control, human resource utilization and treatment, and the development of a total employee team. Ensures that plant labor, raw material, yields, supplies, waste and human resources are managed in the most effective manner, resulting in a positive contribution to the bottom line of the company P & L.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
Employee Relations and Training
- Coordinates all shift operations, including the activities of salaried and hourly production group leaders.
- Maintain a high standard of employee relations to insure that Smithfield is an employer of choice and employees are aware of their obligations.
- Provide training and counsel employees when necessary.
- Recognize through formal programs to keep employees informed and acknowledge their efforts.
Safe Working Environment
- Initiate and/or maintain required safety and ergonomic programs to insure a safe working environment and meet company goal of an injury free workplace.
- Ensure employee safety training, assist in the identification of and correction of safety hazards and ergonomic issues.
- Set and attain goals to reduce injuries and cost per claim of injuries.
Product Quality and Safety
- Maintain desired product quality and safety.
- Ensure all staff and employees know and understand HACCP and SSOP documents; CCP’s and the HACCP plan.
- Maintain product failures and foreign material issues.
- Guides group leaders in safety, food safety, quality, process control, personnel practices, efficient operations, employee development, and employee retention goals.
Yields and Efficiency
- Responsible for operation layout, automation improvements, budgeting and cost improvements.
- Maintain or exceed goals on yields and efficiencies.
- Ensure all operating procedures are followed and correct and/or update when needed.
- Assure that all specs are followed with no change until yield update, labor analysis, and cost analysis have been studied.
- Maintain a continuous effort for improvement seeking ways to improve.
Cost Control Program
- Initiate and modify as necessary a cost control program that will assist the company in remaining competitive.
- Develop and manage a system that tracks direct and indirect labor, inedible product, and film and bag costs with the goal to reduce costs to below budget.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 7+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies and operations procedures.
- Knowledge of OSHA Standards and USDA and HACCP regulations.
- Ability to lead a diverse work force.
- Knowledge of SAP, Internet, spreadsheet, Word processing, order processing and sales software.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Must be able to travel 5% of the time.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the plant.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Supply Chain Management