St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.
Exciting opportunity to be part of the team making St. Luke’s history. St. Luke’s University Health Network is preparing to open its first inpatient unit dedicated to adolescent inpatient psychiatric care. The 16 – bed, single occupancy style unit will be staffed by adolescent psychiatrists, registered nurses, behavioral health technicians, and care managers. Located within Easton Hospital, the multidisciplinary care teams will focus on the stabilization and treatment of children ages 12 – 17 in crisis. The unit provides an optimal setting for mental health services aimed at meeting the needs of young people and their families. The physical environment promotes a range of activities such as group and recreational therapies, music, quiet space, access to technology to facilitate education, and family visitation. These new beds will mean that families will not have to send their children hours away for appropriate treatment. St. Luke’s is committed to creating healthcare access to the communities we serve, and the expansion of inpatient behavioral health services to support our children in the community is that next step.
The Behavioral Health Technician works under the supervision of the professional licensed nurse, performing clinical, as well as clerical functions within the behavioral inpatient service.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs clinical procedures within scope of practice such as:
- Accurately obtains and records patient vital signs and intake and output.
- Performs glucometry, phlebotomy and EKGs
- Collects specimens for diagnostic tests.
- Follows treatment plan as directed by licensed personnel.
- Assists with the admission process and documents pertinent information.
- Supports the patient performing ADLs (Activities of Daily Living) – personal hygiene, nutrition, elimination. Performs or supports the patient while performing necessary physical care to ensure Activities of Daily Living are maintained – personal hygiene, nutrition, elimination, ambulation or physical mobility.
- Monitors the therapeutic environment by performing safety checks and monitors patient status by performing patient observations and continual rounding. Assumes responsibility for maintaining a clean and orderly environment.
- Communicates changes in patients’ condition or unit milieu concerns with patient care team.
- Demonstrates competence in caring for the agitated/violent patient, who may require treatment with seclusion/restraints.
- Demonstrates skill as a member of the Control Team, in responding to agitation/violent behavior of individuals requiring verbal de-escalation and/or physical restraint.
- Facilitates patient recreational and therapeutic activities under the direction of the professional licensed staff.
- Demonstrates proper chain of command for work related issues.
- Maintains clinical records of all patient contact according to hospital policy and other regulatory guidelines.
- Organizes work time to respond to established priorities. Uses time effectively and productively during periods of low department activity.
- Maintains confidentiality of all materials handled within the Network/ Entity as well as the proper release of information.
- Demonstrates/models the Network’s Service Excellence Standards of Performance in interactions with all customers (internal and external).
- Complies with Network and departmental policies.
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Must have ability to sit for 2 total hours per day, and up to 1 total consecutive hour. Must be able to stand for 8 total hours per day and up to 2 total consecutive hours. Must be able to walk 6 total hours per day and up to 10 total consecutive minutes. Must have the ability to frequently use fingers/hands for fingering and handling. Must have the ability to use upper extremities for frequent pushing of objects up to 10 pounds and occasional pushing of objects up to 75 lbs. Must have the ability to transport patients weighing up to 250 lbs. via wheelchair, stretcher and/or bed. Must have the ability for frequent stooping and bending. Must have the ability for frequent reaching above shoulder level. Must have the ability for touching as it relates to feeling objects by touching with the skin, particularly that of fingertips. Must have the ability for hearing as it relates to normal conversation, high frequency and low frequency hearing sounds. Must have the ability for seeing as it relates to general vision, near vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
High School Graduate/GED required. BA/BS in human services field, or current student in BA/BS/Nursing School preferred.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Two years previous experience in mental health or medical setting preferred. Nurse or medical aide experience preferred. CPR certification required within 60 days of hire.
Hiring full time and part time- all shifts.
Training will take place upon hire on In-Patient Adult Behavioral Health Units with transfer to New Adolescent Unit upon open anticipated in Fall 2021.
Flexibility for scheduling required for training and unit opening.
Shift rotation may be required to meet staffing needs.
Every other weekend and every other holiday rotation.
Shift rotation may be required to meet staffing needs.
Please complete your application using your full legal name and current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications and licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!![ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to $2,000 Sign on Bonus - Behavioral Health Tech, NEW In-Patient ADOLESCENT Behavioral Health (Full Time & Part Time - All Shifts)[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to $2,000 Sign on Bonus - Behavioral Health Tech, NEW In-Patient ADOLESCENT Behavioral Health (Full Time & Part Time - All Shifts)
- Activities Of Daily Living (Ad Ls)
- Behavioral Medicine
- Clinical Works
- Health Care