SHIFT: No Weekends
The HCA Centerfor Clinical Advancement (CCA) is part of our strategic nursinginitiative to create an organizational structure (shared services) focusedspecifically on clinical education. The CCA will develop and deploy consistentworld-class curriculum, content, and programs across HCA's 178 acute carefacilities nationwide. The strategy of our center shared servicesimplementation focuses on our amazing clinical educators dedicating their timein high value-add, top of skill efforts with our clinicians. To aid in thiseffort, HCA will leverage size and scale to share clinical education bestpractices across the enterprise and help make decisions that will positivelyimpact our patient outcomes.
We’re excited to advanceand hope you will join us on our mission to support the care and improvement ofhuman life!
HCA's Dominion Hospital,Falls Church, VA and StoneSprings Hospital Dulles, VA combine atotal of 240 Beds.
The ClinicalProfessional Development Specialty Educator is responsible forenhancing professional practice and the provision of quality patient care in anidentified specialty throughout hospitals in their assigned division. TheSpecialty Educator will have deep subject matter expertise in nursing inhis/her professional specialty and will provide evidence-based, qualityeducational programs and activities that promote professional competency fornursing, inter-professional and non-licensed clinical staff in the identifiedspecialty setting.
- The CPDSE actively collaborates and may lead the development of the entire orientation/onboarding process for nursing in the identified specialty. This includes participating or leading the development, coordination, managing, facilitating, conducting, and evaluating on-boarding and orientation programs for nursing and other healthcare personnel in the critical care setting. To meet this expectation includes the following:
- Provides and assist with orientation/onboarding programs to promote employee retention through the division
- Conducts orientation in a manner that facilitates a positive learning environment
- Promotes cost effectiveness through implementation of efficient orientation/onboarding practices
- Role models organizational and personal commitment to new employee success
- Collaborates with the Education Coordinator the logistics of orientation to keep all stakeholders informed
- Collaborates with the Market Director, Clinical Professional Development (MCPD) and facility Clinical Professional Development Educator (CPDE) to adjust the program based on evaluation results
- Incorporates organizational values/culture
The CPDSE is responsibleto have the expertise in competency assessment in order to participate in thedevelopment, coordination, and managing, facilitating, conducting, andevaluating competency in the critical care setting. To meet thisexpectation includes the following:
- Interprets and demonstrates competencies to the (ex. critical care, women’s services, surgical services etc.) staff
- Role models competent practice
- Identifies learning needs of the specialty staff either through on-site review or metrics
- Assesses practice gaps comparing competencies to actual practice and provides direction to reduce the gaps to practice.
- Plans educational content with learner engagement
- Collaborates with the CPDEs, MCPD and Director, Clinical Programs to review outcomes data to evaluate and refine competency management activities for the identified specialty throughout the division.
- Identifies appropriate resources for problem solving
Education is designed toimprove professional practice and provision of quality care. Toaccomplish this goal the CPDSE may participate or leads the design andidentification of educational activities to address practice gaps foridentified target audiences, which may include licensed and non-licensedhealthcare personal in the critical care setting. These activities aredeveloped to achieve specific outcomes related to identified deficits oropportunities for improvement in knowledge, skill and practice. To meetthis expectation includes the following:
- Assesses practice gaps.
- Identifies learning needs and desired outcomes for area for the identified specialty
- Identifies desired outcomes
- Plans educational content delivery with learner engagement
- Collaborates with the clinical education team members which may include the Director, Clinical Programs and Market Director, Clinical Professional Development and/or Clinical Professional Development Educator to evaluate and adjust educational programs based on evaluations and feedback
- Promotes safe, quality and compassionate patient care.
- Aligns educational programs with organization’s policies and procedures
- Ensures that educational programs meet regulatory requirements.
- Incorporates organizational values/culture.
- Supports new ideas and innovation in educational design
- Identifies resources for problem solving.
- Utilizes current, best evidence to improve (insert specialty) nursing throughout the division
- Provides staff with resources and education to implement changes
Research Evidence-basedPractice (EBP)/Quality Improvement (QI)
The CPDSE must promoteand integrate the EBP in order to continuously improve practice in the criticalcare setting. In addition, they promote research, EBP, and QI in patientcare settings. CPDSEmay conduct, encourage, facilitate, and/orparticipate in research, EBP, and QI, including dissemination offindings. To meet this expectation includes the following:
- Works with others to identify problems and solutions and collaboratively create the change strategy
- Assists and may lead in the implementation of change strategies
- Embraces meaningful change and fosters acceptance, adoption and action toward change in others
- Identifies appropriate evidence to guide practice decisions
- Creates a supportive environment for nursing research, scientific inquiry, quality improvement and evidenced-base practice
- Supports research activities that align with the organizational strategic plan
- Disseminates research findings through educational programs, courses, and other activities
- Consistently maintains and sustain practice changes using principles of implementation science
- Exhibits creativity and flexibility through times of change
The CPDSE collaborateswith partners to share experience in planning and decision making to achievethe desired results. Interprofessional collaboration involves multiplehealthcare personnel from different professional backgrounds collaborating todeliver the highest quality of care in critical care setting.
- Works collaboratively with interprofessional teams as assigned
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize evidence-based simulation models to design, implement, evaluate, and standardize educational programs for staff in the use of clinical simulation, debriefing and assessment.
- Identifies opportunities for collaboration; initiates collaborative efforts, i.e., facility Chief Nursing Officer (CNO), Associate CNO and Nursing Directors
- Considers and communicates impact of activities on other departments/professions/community
- Communicates professionally using appropriate methods
- Collaborates with the Director, Clinical Programs, MDCPD and/or facility CPDE to review outcomes data to evaluate and refine educational activities.
- Contributes to organizational initiatives/strategic planning as appropriate
Professional Role Development
Professional roledevelopment involves identification and development of strategies to facilitatea continuous process of maturation through lifelong learning. This typeof development allows for role transition, role integration, skill acquisitionand mastery as learners advance from novice to expert in their professions andspecialties. To meet this expectation includes the following:
- Participates and provides lifelong learning
- Provides expertise in identifying professional development needs of individual staff in the specialty setting
- Assists staff to identify areas for individual growth in current role
- Directs staff to career advancement resources
- Utilizes novice to expert continuum when developing staff
- Understands adult educational theory and able to apply to the development of educational programs.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to apply evaluation methodologies, (i.e., Kirkpatrick) into courses and curriculum to refine clinical programs.
- Contributes insights and feedback for succession planning
- Identifies and provides opportunities for skill enhancement and mastery
- Promotes certification
- Monitors the practices or operations with reference to laws, regulations, guidelines, or industry practices to assess compliance, risk, or exposure while communicating key performance indicators for clinical education service line within their division.
- Ensures that the work of the clinical education team develops educational content to meets the accreditation standards of the Joint Commission, Medicare, Medicaid and similar organizations from an educational perspective.
- Accountable for delivery of clinical education services and practices that create a patient-centered organization, driven by customer feedback and data.
- Ensures efficient and effective delivery of quality clinical education content and programs to drive improved clinical metrics.
- Contributes and works collaboratively with division and facility education team to support hospital wide improvement in meeting core measures, patient safety, and service excellence goals through clinical education.
- Fosters a Service Excellence culture.
- Understand nursing unit’s results to identify opportunities to support improvement in internal or external customer satisfaction and/or patient experience.
- Inspires pride in HCA and organizational outcomes by developing a superior clinical identity and culture-of-excellence which inspires higher expectations for care in the physicians, nurses and other clinicians than externally imposed standards.
- Promotes consistent positive patient interactions when coaching clinical staff that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service.
- Establishes a culture of accountability for effectively managing expenses and delivering cost-effective healthcare in the communities we serve.
- Participates in strategic planning and business development within the clinical education area of responsibility that may include technology advances and other opportunities to drive differentiation support the growth agenda.
- Represents the organization positively within the community; participates in company supported community/patient events and in-services.
- Supports external relationships which advances the organization's position within the community to improve the health of communities served.
- Stays abreast of regulatory changes, emerging technology, and advancements in healthcare delivery.
- Stays abreast of external factors and opportunities impacting healthcare; to include political, legislative and regulatory changes, emerging technologies, and advancements in healthcare delivery. Understands the competitive landscape. Supports the organization to be positioned strategically to respond to these changing healthcare dynamics and market environments.
- Participates with the division education team to contribute to the development of long and short range operational and capital budgets aligned to business objectives
- Provides requested data to assist in completing monthly operations; provides information on variances to the Director, Clinical Professional Development and/or Vice President, Clinical Education for action plans to address gaps
- Understands impact on department performance in accordance with established budget. Including the utilization of staffing, supplies, equipment.
- Participates in the annual budget process providing input into expense forecasts, staffing, supply and equipment needs.
- Identifies cost reduction opportunities and implements actions to achieve savings.
- Adheres to HCA Code of Conduct
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time
- Must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations
- Must be flexible to work evenings and nights to meet the educational needs of the clinicians
- Assist in providing simulation models in the simulation lab.
Education & Experience:
- Required: Bachelor's degree; must be in Nursing if the applicant does not have an Masters Science in Nursing
- Preferred: Master's degree in Nursing, Healthcare Administration, Education or other clinical field
- Required: 3+ years of experience in clinical education; 3+ years’ experience in specialty in an acute care hospital
- Or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
- Required: Currently licensed appropriate to education in the state(s) in which he or she practices, in accordance with law and regulation.
- Preferred: Certification as NPD Practitioner highly preferred
- Required: Specialty certification as recognized by the American Nurse Credentialing Center
- Required: BLS
Why join HCA?
- Matching 401K
- Low Deductibles for Health, Vision, and Dental
- Team Culture
- Passion for patient care
- Career Advancement through Clinical Ladder
- Relocation Assistance
Tuition Reimbursement Program ($5,250/calendar year)
- Student Loan Assistance Program
“We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.”
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to RN Surgical Services Market Clinical Educator.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at
1-844-422-5627 option 1.
HCA Healthcare is a collaborative healthcare network, driven by physicians, nurses and colleagues helping each other champion the practice of medicine to give people a healthier tomorrow. With a comprehensive network of more than 270,000 people across approximately 1,800 care facilities, our scale enables us to deliver great outcomes for our patients, provide superior nursing care and be a preferred place for physicians to practice medicine. We never stop in our pursuit of insights and care advances based on the knowledge and data we gain from approximately 30 million patient encounters a year. Every day, we raise the bar to improve the way healthcare is delivered, not just in our facilities, but everywhere. We’re committed to improving more lives in more ways, and above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
- Basic Life Support
- Business Development
- Business Planning
- Clinical Works
- Competency Assessment