Hey there! Have you recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in Accounting and are currently looking for a career that offers long-term growth and development opportunities? If so, don't stop reading now because this position could be perfect for you. Our staff accountant role will allow you to perfect your accounting skills while also enabling you to learn more about how critical the accounting function is to our operation.
First things First: Who are we?
First Transit Inc. is a leading provider of public transportation contracting and management services. For over 60 years, we have supplied precision, efficiency, innovation, and all-around expertise to both public and private transportation systems. Today, we operate in 335 locations, carrying more than 350 million passengers annually throughout the United States in 39 states, Puerto Rico and Canada.
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within, which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Transit.
- There are two opportunities for promotions at the location level and many more beyond this!
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
About the Position
As a Staff Accountant, you will have complete accounting oversight at the location level. You will prepare financial reports under general supervision and perform moderately complex activities related to the maintenance of a complete and accurate general ledger. Finally, you will learn about our industry and what makes accounting in transportation so rewarding.
- Completion of monthly financial close for location
- Analyzes financial reports and budgets, identifying trends and making recommendations
- Prepares and verifies the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records.
- Prepares client invoices and reconciles payments.
- Oversees the locations payroll submissions.
- Oversees daily counts, preparation of daily deposits, and daily and monthly reconciliations to expected intake.
- Track and report location’s financial performance and offers suggestions about resource utilization
- Creates the annual budget with the input of the GM and supporting staff.
- Performs other functions as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Experience in accounting processes (journaling, month-end close, etc.) would be a plus, but are not required.
- Knowledge of accounting practices, procedures and GAAP standards.
First America is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First America!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.