To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Lancaster, CA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Admitting/Bed Control Representative - Bed Board - Per Diem/Varied
Antelope Valley Hospital • Lancaster, CA
Posted 1 month ago
Under the direction of the Department Supervisor or other designee provides a variety of patient welcoming and access services in support of the Admitting/Registration areas. This position is responsible for a variety of tasks that lead to a high level of customer satisfaction in the most cost-effective manner by coordinating and monitoring the overall movement of patients through the continuum of care in a safe and efficient manner and serving as a liaison with physicians to ensure that appropriate care can be delivered.
Additional duties may include pre-registration and registers patients presenting at the hospital for inpatient, outpatient and emergency services. Conducts patient/guarantor interviews, explains hospital policies, patient financial responsibilities and patient's bill of rights. Facilitates the patient registration/admission flow, including activities such as: patient identification, identification of accurate demographic and insurance information, and collection of required signatures and documents. Responsible for the verification of insurance benefits on all inpatient and outpatient accounts through electronic verification system or through contact with third party payors, in order to obtain accurate and prompt reimbursement. Checks eligibility, benefits, authorization requirements, PCP approval requirements, and billing requirements, as appropriate. Submits notice of admission to payors, as needed. Collects co-payments, and other patient liabilities. Enters the financial and admissions data into the hospital information computer systems.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Bed Control Placement
- Assigns beds according to medical necessity.
- Acts as single point person for the MD's, minimizing their interruptions and facilitating communication with all other providers.
- Scans in admission requests for patient accounts.
- Assists with the coordination of all direct admits.
- Keeps track of all downgrades/upgrades on the nursing units.
- Acts as liaison with other departments and checks on delays in all sub-processes, maintaining communication with nursing and other hospital disciplines to ensure proper placement of patients.
- Coordinates and ensures that appropriate physician orders are obtained for all admissions and transfers.
- Appropriately refers problems and/or questions to House Supervisor and raises significant issues affecting bed flow to the House Supervisor and Assistant Chief. Keep track of Hospital census/bed availability to include turnover and patient flow. Communicate with Charge Nurses and House Supervisors for proper placement of patients in beds according to medical necessity, maintaining an awareness of dialysis and isolation patients.
- Activates the process for patient holding in Emergency Department (ED) greater than three (3) hours. Assigns patient to a unit, based on diagnosis/level of care, and contacts the unit manager to make them aware.
- Prioritizes admissions and is able to interpret hospital bed availability. After conferring with House Supervisor, sets patient placement priorities for admits, obtaining patient arrival times for direct admits, and communicating status on an ongoing basis as unit situations changes.
- Transfers patients as directed by the Charge Nurse or House Supervisor.
- Notifies ED, Recovery or Nursing Unit on bed status, when clean, ready and available.
- Coordinates with House Supervisor and EVS stat cleans.
- Inputs required documentation for HaVBed polling (Reddinet)
- Attends daily bed meetings at assigned times.
- Obtains information from the Charge Nurses at the 2200 bed meeting regarding bed flow for the main Hospital and the Women and Infants Pavilion (WIP) and sends out report to the Administrative call group.
- Receives trauma and code myocardial infarction (MI) calls to plan accordingly for bed assignment.
- Screens the use of in-patient beds according to hospital guidelines and criteria.
- Bed Control communicates with Environmental Services (EVS) through Teletracking system on urgent to clean beds.
- Bed Control receives the doctors order (Via Printer) the diagnosis is looked up in McKesson (HEO) and then the admit is added onto the ED Pulse Check admit list.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtain, verify and correct demographic information, select correct guarantor and emergency contacts on all registrations/pre-admissions
- Chooses the correct patient type as indicated by MD order or pre-admit order and the current registration systems
- Ensures that all required insurance authorizations are obtained at the time of registration/pre-registration
- Ensures that all insurance verifications are obtained at the time of registration/pre-registration
- Collects all co-pays and deductibles at the time of registration/pre-registration
- Uses proper patient identifiers when selecting the patient record into the hospitals ADT systems as outlined in the facilities policies and procedures
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payer form correctly
- Completes registrations/pre-admissions without creating a duplicate medical record number
- Completes registrations\pre-registrations with correct Primary Care MD, Admitting MD and Attending MD.
B. Forms Completion
- Explains all admission forms accurately and understandably and direct patient and or responsible party to initial and sign were applicable on all forms
- Explains the Medicare Rights form to patients that this form applies
- Understands the purpose of the Patient Responsibility form in regards to Core Measures and the timely completion of the form and Smoking Cessation information.
- Uses military time on all admission forms
- Uses a legal signature on all admission forms
- Understands chart placement of all forms
C. Advance Directives and Patient Information
- Explains Advance Directives and direct patients to their MD for completion of form
- Provides all required information such as Patient Rights and Responsibilities, Speak up Brochure and use of blood at the time of registration
- Provides patients and their families with assorted required documents to assist them during their stay
D. Organization of daily activities
- Monitors and coordinate work daily to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency
- Review all work for quality at the end of each shift and make corrections if necessary
- Other duties as assigned, within skill sets and abilities
- Ensures insurance authorizations are received and documented in the patients account as required by insurance carriers
- Obtains insurance verification on all required patient accounts as outlined in the department’s policies and procedures
- Accepts and carries out all other miscellaneous clerical and/or administrative duties and responsibilities as required for maintaining all services provided by Admitting Services
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of HMO, PPO, Commercial, and Workers’ Compensation reimbursement
- Knowledge of multiple insurance plans and authorization procedures and processes for obtaining payment
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic
- Use of basic personal computer
- Use of the use of a calculator
- Proficient in the operation of scanners, copiers, and fax machines
- Skilled in usages of computers and programs in a hospital setting
- Skilled usage of MS Office applications
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Good planning, time management and decision-making skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong customer focus
- Ability to read and understand insurance requirements
- Ability to verify and interpret insurance benefits and collect co-pays
- Ability to handle stress
- Ability to manage a heavy caseload in an organized and efficient manner
- Ability to maintain a working relationship with other departments within the organization
- Ability to read handwritten and transcribed documents in the medical record, interpret information,
- Ability to enter complete and accurate data into the facilities computer systems
- Ability to maintain an accuracy rate of 98% or higher relating to all registration/preadmission/bed control activities within the Patient Access departments
Core Competencies: All AVH employees will effectively demonstrate these behaviors:
Ethics & Values
Integrity & Trust
Education and Experience:
- High School graduate or equivalent
- 1-year recent experience in an Admitting Department in an acute care setting. Will consider 1-year recent (within last 5 years) experience in a medical office or hospital Business Office setting
- Previous Commercial, HMO, PPO, and Workers Compensation billing and/or
- Insurance follow-up experience in an acute care setting preferred
Required Licensure and/or Certifications:
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Primarily works in a climate-controlled area
- Frequent Sitting and standing for long periods of time
- Tolerate repetitive arm and hand movements
A detailed description of the physical requirements of this job is maintained in the Employee Health Department.
Looking for an opportunity to work in healthcare the way you always dreamed you could? At Antelope Valley Hospital, our employees are at the heart of what we do best – delivering high quality, patient-centered healthcare.
Antelope Valley Hospital, a 420 bed acute care facility, located just 60 miles north of Los Angeles, the Antelope Valley is one of Southern California’s fastest growing communities. We are a Level II Trauma Center and Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center Accredited. Serving the community for over 50 years, our non-profit hospital has grown to be the preeminent healthcare facility for our district’s nearly 1.2 million residents.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.