Burns Engineering provides professional engineering design and project management services for transportation, facilities, and infrastructure projects. We help our clients attain their strategic goals and initiatives through successful large-scale infrastructure projects. Burns’ full-service capabilities include mechanical, electrical, civil, structural, transportation, and energy consulting engineering.
Recently voted a Top Workplace by Philly.com, we credit our strength as an organization to our talented, driven, vibrant team. Burns is an ENR Top 500 Firm, and has been named an MEP Giant by Consulting-Specifying Engineer Magazine, as well as a Hot Firm by Zweig. We are industry experts, proven leaders, innovative thinkers, and team players. We put our clients’ successes and best interests first, because their success is our success. We have fun at work because we love making a difference in the world. We are looking for high-energy, bright, collaborative individuals who want the opportunity to “write their own story” with us.
Railroad & Transit Team
Burns provides design and construction solutions to help maintain, improve, and expand the nation’s railroad and transit infrastructure. We have designed the implementation of critical programs across the country, and support the renewed emphasis on a public transit-oriented lifestyle.
Burns is currently seeking a licensed Senior Electrical Engineer to join our Railroad & Transit team in Washington, D.C.
This position is for a Sr. Electrical Engineer mainly acting as a utility coordinator for WMATA’s AC substations and DC substations; and a Sr. Engineer to support MEP and substations design work. The Sr. Engineer makes independent decisions on engineering problems and methods. Requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories and practices of the field. Provides supervision and guidance related largely to overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts and policy matters. Develops solutions for larger and highly complex engineering projects. Supervises coordinates and reviews of the work of Assistant Engineers, Associate Engineers and Engineers. Continues to develop technical expertise in discipline and may begin to specialize in niche technical areas. The Senior Engineer will spend the majority of their time developing technical expertise and supporting others. Must dispense knowledge to staff through mentoring or internal presentations. Provides the production of projects on-time, in budget with high technical quality and client satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with PEPCO, Dominion Alexandria, Dominion Springfield and Dominion Fairfax, and other utility agencies to identify the various utilities’ requirements.
- Identify the critical paths for utility acceptance and guide Contractors through the utilities’ requirements.
- Manage utility coordination with the various utilities companies by preparing agenda, leading construction meetings with the railroad transit agency client (such as WMATA), and preparing weekly and monthly status reports.
- Performs specific engineering studies and design analyzes and assists the project manager in establishing budgets, cost estimates and project schedules.
- Maintain overall group schedule of project deliverable milestones, billing objectives and activity codes.
- Reviews shop drawings, record changes and communicate directly with suppliers, contractors and client representatives as required.
- Performs on-site inspections during construction and coordinates design requirements with contractors and equipment suppliers.
- Develops innovative technical solutions and engineering methods to enhance efficiency, quality and production
- Is recognized by clients as an expert technical resource.
- Actively participates in professional organizations and/or client groups where the technical reputation and image of the firm may be enhanced.
- Sets technical direction for specific discipline on projects, determine discipline work tasks and flow, delegates design elements to Engineers. Designers and primarily retains most complex, high value tasks for self.
- Mentors junior staff
- Informal task supervision of CAD Operators, Designers, Junior Associates, Associates, Engineers and Engineer IIs at the direction of the Project Manager.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Professionally Licensed Engineer with a Bachelor's (B.S.) Engineering degree and at least 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have experience working with utility agencies, particularly, PEPCO and Dominion
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Professional Engineering License is preferred but not required.
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Cost Modelling
- Design Elements And Principles
- Financial Management