The Bruner House Community Residence (Bronx, NY) provides family-oriented and supportive Child and Teen Services to boys and girls, ages of 13-15 years old who are struggling with a wide range of psychiatric diagnoses, emotional crises, mental health, and behavioral issues. Under their individualized service plans, youth receive comprehensive clinical treatment and education, and are able to develop independent living skills and adaptive coping strategies for managing of their emotional and behavioral issues in order transition back into their home communities.
The Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for the complete nursing care and all routine medical procedures within the scope of the nursing practice for the residents of Bruner House. This is a Part time, Unionized role in the Bronx.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing nursing assessments of residents upon program entry, and annually thereafter; determining the residents' general health condition, identify any risk factors, and providing care for any presenting/out-standing medical issues; providing referrals for follow-up treatments; developing a treatment care plan based on residents’ needs; responding to medical emergencies immediately upon notification; performing triage and providing access to all necessary medical treatment; following up to ensure complete recovery
- Administering prescribed and/or routine medical treatments in line with doctor’s orders, and internal agency policies; scheduling clinic appointments; escorting residents to appointments; running medication groups as needed
- Providing health education, and communicating information regarding good health practices to the residents
- Liaising between external medical health care providers, schools, other community organizations and the facility with regards to the client’s medical needs; performing all necessary charting, and other patient documentation; monitoring lab results for change, and communicating change(s) to the physician
- Performing comprehensive examination of any resident involved in a restraint; providing advocacy for hospitalized clients
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s in nursing with New York State registration is required; OR RN
- Experience in a residential setting, or in the mental health field is strongly preferred
Registered Nurse Certified