Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY
In the Assistant Manager role, you will be responsible for the sustaining engineering activities for electronics designed and manufactured by the S&C Electric Co. These activities include supervising field return analysis, initiating quality improvements, managing component obsolescence impacts, supporting production operations in multiple facilities, assisting the technical support teams in resolving end customer issues and other activities necessary to maintain the producibility and life cycle of our electronics products. This team supports most product families within S&C Electric Co., and you will be expected to work with a wide variety of other engineering and product management groups.
You will work effectively with both internal and external customers. You should possess very effective verbal and written communication skills. You must have a strong sense of ownership. In this position, you will be expected to split time between the Chicago and Franklin production operations facilities with a majority of time spent in the Franklin facility and report to the Senior Manager - Product Engineering. Additionally, you will be responsible for any recruiting, onboarding, training, and coaching any new Team Members to maintain the long-term capabilities of the team.The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- Work in an engineering culture that is customer focused
- Manage a geographically distributed team
- Maintain a strong process focused approach to managing the activities in the team
- Work closely with the new product development teams to develop the skills, knowledge and processes in the Product Engineering team required to support a product after introduction in the market
- Manage the field return processes including electrical analysis, root cause identification, report writing, and data trending
- Work closely with the technical support, field services, and other engineering teams to assist customers with product issues
- Drive quality improvement efforts through Product Engineering by using solid problem-solving skills to identify root causes of product issues in production or at customer sites
- Develop and manage processes for proactive monitoring of issues that could result in interruptions to production operations such as obsolete components, or decreases in quality or yield
- Work in an engineering culture that is customer focused
Relevant Experience Required:
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, MS degree preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic design in one or more areas: digital design, analog design, and power electronics
- Strong skills in hands on analysis of electronics including appropriate bench level equipment and tools
- Some background in medium voltage power system applications desirable
- Strong technical leadership abilities with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to travel outside of Chicago IL and Franklin WI less than 10% of the time with some periods lasting more than a week
5 - 7 years of experience in electronic design with preferably 2+ years either managing a team or supervising one or more of these processesMAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing: Occasional standing for work on complete control assemblies.
- Lifting: Occasional lifting of controls and test equipment, less than 50 pounds.
- Walking: Occasional walking throughout the facility.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects.
- Pushing: Infrequent pushing of objects, possibly related to rearrangement work.
- Pulling: Infrequent pulling of objects, possibly related to rearrangement work.
- Bending: Occasional bending during access to equipment.
- Reaching: Infrequent reaching.
- Handling: Frequent handling of parts or tools.
- Environment: Frequent handling of parts or tools.
S&C is a global company providing equipment and services for electric power systems. Founded in 1911, the Chicago-based company designs and manufactures switching and protection products for electric power transmission and distribution. S&C's Engineering teams design solutions for a portfolio of products for a wide range of customers including electric utilities and industrial/commercial power users. S&C offers broad opportunities for advancement, excellent education and training programs, a challenging work environment, and a strong package of pay and benefits.
The Human Energy of S&C has been built on the principles of integrity, enthusiasm, and sustained energy. These are the traits that S&C has always looked for and found when seeking people to join our 100% employee-owned team. S&C would not be where it is today without the diversity of our team members and business partners. We consider our diversity to be a core strength of our company, and we aspire to align our team-member demographics with the populations in which we live and work. To realize this vision, we seek to facilitate the career development of minorities, women and all team members through events hosted by our Inclusion, Diversity, Engagement and Awareness (I.D.E.A.) Group, Women's Empowerment Group and other S&C affinity groups.
S&C has a proud and longstanding tradition of providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or marital status. Further, S&C is committed to taking affirmative action to ensure that qualified females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities can pursue equal employment opportunities. For information regarding equal employment opportunity, please see http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.About the Team
In the (Engineering, Design) department, we are responsible for creatively addressing customers' needs, pioneering industry changes, and understanding each step, from R&D to production. We strive to not only solve the unique challenges our customers face today, but to create breakthrough technologies enabling them to effectively navigate the demands of the grid of tomorrow. As S&C innovates for reliability, progress, and longevity, our work continues S&C's legacy of creating game-changing technology and advancing the energy industry.
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics Manufacturing
- Hardworking And Dedicated
- Logic Synthesis