As the Assistant Category Manager, at the North West Company International (NWCI), you assist the Category Manager in managing their categories by being accountable for key components of the process. Key components include writing orders, implementing cost changes at the managers direction, managing the inventory, and analyzing data per instructions thus contributing to the overall goals of the Category Manager.
Joining NWCI gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWCI is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
• Assist the Category Manager in delivering annual and seasonal category strategies as directed;
• Ensure item files are accurate and up-to-date in order to support category and store positioning strategies as set by the Category Manager;
• Provide input into weekly, monthly, and quarterly variance reports for the Category manager to use to create reports;
• Create and manage assortments for assigned departments and store positioning strategies with input by the Category Manager;
• Monitor ongoing sales figures of all items and key activities as projected in order to maintain appropriate inventory levels for the Category Managers vendors;
• Complete the order process from creation of the purchase order through to the delivery of goods to the store;
• Submit accurate item setup sheets to Data Entry on a timely basis;
• Manage and monitor core item assortment by adding and deleting products at the direction of the Category Manager;
• Review and action store and depot inventory issues for assigned department group;
• Maintain budgeted inventory levels in stores and perform item maintenance as required to ensure the closed dated items move through the system in a timely manner; and
• In collaboration with the Category Manager, build advertising and merchandising activities that achieve targeted results.
Desired Skills Experience:
Previous retail and/or procurement experience is preferred; Undergraduate degree in business or related field; Extensive MS Office Suite experience, including above average knowledge of Excel; Strong analytical and organizational skills; Aptitude with successful negotiations; Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; Ability to problem solve complex issues; Strong prioritizing and mathematical skills; Strong attention to details and time management Strong time management and adherence to both Category and Company goals and deadlines; and Ability to set priorities based on workload.
Positions will be advertised externally; however internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. Employees are encouraged to bring forward applications of external candidates that meet the qualifications of this position.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Reports to: Category Manager