Cleveland-Cliffs is currently seeking a Salaried Safety Engineer for its Indiana Harbor plant located in East Chicago Indiana. The Safety Engineer will report to the Safety Manager and will provide technical guidance regarding safety issues, OSHA compliance, and safety performance. A successful candidate will be responsible for planning, directing, managing programs, and resolving issues in a timely & cost effective manner.
- Maintain compliance with OSHA regulations, Cleveland-Cliffs safety standards, and safety plan requirements.
- Provide technical updates as needed regarding upcoming changes in regulations.
- Foster positive working relationship with the United Steel Workers of America/plant safety teams.
- Reduce injuries at the plant and implement improvements in plant and division safety programs.
- Review and define regulatory required training.
- Coordinate regulatory inspections and required safety audits.
- Coordinate safety training for salaried, represented employees, and contractors.
- Coordinate investigations of accidents and nears misses.
- Audit housekeeping and area safety plans.
- Track status of Leading and Lagging indicators, investigations, and corrective actions.
- Manage all injury cases and maintain OSHA log using corporate injury tracking systems.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Health, or related field. Experience commensurate with the position will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Must be knowledgeable of federal and state safety regulations.
- Detailed knowledge of proper LOTO, confined space entry and hazard assessment
- Ability to do data analysis and risk assessment.
- Ability to analyze and interpret technical or government regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop polices, write reports, and make presentations.
- A self-starter who displays motivation, innovation, and enthusiasm.
- 3-5 years safety experience in industrial setting.
- OHSAS 18001 or ISO45001 experience recommended.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest flat-rolled steel company and the largest iron ore pellet producer in North America. The Company is vertically integrated from mined raw materials, direct reduced iron, and ferrous scrap to primary steelmaking and downstream finishing, stamping, tooling, and tubing. We offer an excellent total compensation package including top pay with variable compensation opportunity, health insurance, retirement plan, education assistance, paid time off and more!.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that all Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Confined Spaces
- Corrective And Preventive Action (Capa)
- Data Analysis