Barnes & Noble College is a retail environment like no other – uniquely focused on delivering outstanding customer service. Our stores can carry everything from text and trade books, technology, and school supplies to clothing, regalia, and food-- everything a college student desires, their parents want, and our faculty needs. A Department Manager should be a resource for all departments, a model for customer service, a driver for sales, and a skillful problem solver.
As a Department Manager you will support all store operations and departments in partnership with the management team. In the textbook department you are integral in making sure we have the right book, in the right quantity, at the right time. You may work directly with campus partners, students, and faculty to increase adoptions, rentals, and promote digital sales while successfully executing our textbook timeline each term. You will drive our team to create customer experiences that enhance bookstore loyalty, and deliver measurable results daily. And best of all, you’ll be part of a company that is consistently rated as a great place to work - and where employees love what they do.
- Execute the textbook cycle from setup to returns independently or with the support of booksellers that you train, guide, direct, and counsel under the direction of Store Management.
- Ability to use department specific technology to answer questions about course material, recommend products and/or services, create textbook adoptions, maintain book inventory, receive and pay invoices, and locate or obtain materials based on course descriptions or customer needs.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all departments in the store to provide daily support, direction, and guidance to customers and team members.
- Maintain a presence on the sales floor to greet customers, answer questions, and assist with purchases of textbooks, merchandise, or services when necessary.
- Maintain an appealing sales floor—tag, shelf, arrange, clean, and organize product or space within the store.
- Assist with processing sales transactions involving cash, credit, or financial aid payments as needed.
- Frequent movement within the store to access various departments, areas, and/or products.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods.
- Frequent lifting.
- Occasional reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and climbing ladders.
- 2+ years’ experience in a retail setting as a manager or buyer preferred or a graduate of the Best Seller Program.
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Outstanding customer service skills to match customers to products that meet their needs.
- Basic reading, writing and accounting skills required.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills needed.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Barnes & Noble College is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
General Line Of Merchandise
Point Of Sale