The City of Pasadena is looking for experienced, solution-oriented Associate Planners to join the Planning and Community Development Department. The successful candidatewill beresponsible forperforming routine planning work ineither the Zoning, Design and Historic Preservation or Community Planning sections.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is an effective critical thinker who combines technical expertise with excellent customer service and project management skills in a fast pace, evolving, planning environment. The ideal candidate is actively collaborating with others and engaging for input, contribution, and sharing information to complete tasks.
The City offers outstanding benefits, including 9/80 schedules with alternative Friday's off.
Please note:This examination is authorized as Promotional and Open Competitive, with the promotional eligibility list taking precedence. Also, this recruitment is open continuous and is subject to close at any time. A first review of applications is scheduled for April 21, 2022. Apply now!
The following list represents some of the essential functions of the position. Assignments may vary. For more detailed information, please refer to thejob description.
* Conducts a variety of assignments involving current or long range planning projects; confers with applicants and agency representatives to identify problems; evaluates data and proposes methods to resolve conflicting issues of plan implementation, zoning requirements, and environmental impact.
* Researches, collects and analyzes data; prepares reports and presents recommendations on land use, zoning, design, historic preservation, population, housing, social, economic and other related factors.
* Evaluates current development projects by detailed review of plans for architectural, zoning and general plan requirements; performs field surveys to identify problems and upon completion of projects to ensure conformance with applicable requirements; discusses recommendations with builders, developers, architects, and real estate professionals.
* Prepares legal notices and property descriptions; reviews for completeness and legality advertising notices.
* Confers with and advises architects, engineers, attorneys, developers, and the general public regarding City development procedures and processes.
* Responds to inquiries, both orally and in writing; applies planning policies, state laws and local ordinances, or explains procedures; provides assistance to the Planning Commission, City Council, and other committees and commissions; makes presentations to the City Council, City Commissions, committees, residents and neighborhood groups.
* May have lead supervision over interns, professionals, and technicians.
Education and/or Experience
* Bachelor's degree in planning, architecture, geography, public administration, or a closely related field and
* Two years of experience equivalent to that of an Assistant Planner with the City of Pasadena
The following list represents some of the core competencies for this position; see thejob descriptionfor more detailed information:
* Adaptability - Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires
* Informing- Proactively obtaining and sharing information
* Customer Focus - Attending to the needs and expectation of customers
* Involving Others - Engaging others for input, contribution, and shared responsibility for outcomes
* Teamwork - Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
* Critical Thinking - Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims
The selection process will consist of a training and experience evaluation, an interview panel, and a department-level interview.
There is currently three vacancies in the Planning and Community Development, Zoning Administration Section.
As a result of this selection process, an eligible list of candidates will be established which will be used to fill this vacancy and other similar vacancies that may occur in the future.
Candidates selected for this position are subject to a one-year probationary work period.
Possession of or ability to obtain a Class C California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record, may be required for some assignments.
As of September 3, 2021, anyone hired with the City of Pasadena must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before starting work. The City encourages applicants to get a free vaccination at a place of their choice or at walk-in clinics in Pasadena. A candidate's vaccination status will be reviewed as part of the post-offer pre-employment physical examination. Exemptions to the mandatory vaccination policy may be available for a medical, disability, or sincerely held religious belief.
- Claim Processing
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service