If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world's most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world's most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world's toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
Summary of the Position:
We are seeking an Associate Scientist/Scientist I to join our Vaccine Development department in Gaithersburg, MD. This individual will play an important role in the purification and characterization of recombinant proteins for various potential vaccines. Qualified individuals are expected to purify proteins using modern, commercially available methods as well as perform in-depth characterization of the purified proteins.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Perform routine characterization of protein and nanoparticle vaccines, such as UV Spectroscopy, RP-HPLC, HPLC-SEC, SEC-MALS, DLS, SDS-PAGE, Western-Blot, Densitometer, etc.
* Play a key role in characterization method development of proteins and nanoparticles, such as RP-HPLC, SEC-HPLC, SEC-MALS, etc.
* Support protein purification efforts through buffer preparation, SDS-PAGE, Western blots, and column chromatography.
* Follow SOPs to test in-process samples including SDS-PAGE densitometry, BCA, Western Blot, to support process development and stability studies of nanoparticle vaccines.
* Assist in writing, editing, and reviewing technical reports and SOPs.
* Present scientific findings in internal meetings to departmental leaders, senior managers, and/or cross-departmental teams
* Assist in the maintenance of the lab including routine housekeeping activities, organize ordered lab supplies/raw materials and literature survey.
* Maintain detailed records of experimental protocols and data in laboratory notebooks in accordance with company policy
* Demonstrate effective teamwork and collaboration within Protein Purification team and Vaccine Development group
* Plan and coordinate work activities/experimental assays for junior team members
* Degree in relevant scientific discipline with R&D experience, preferably in protein analytical assay development, 8+ years BS/6+ years MS/PhD 0 years
* Knowledge and experience of analytical instrumentation and methods, RP-HPLC, SEC-HPLC, SEC-MALS
* Experience with membrane proteins and nanoparticles and detergents is preferred.
* Experience with insect cells and Baculovirus expression system is a plus.
* General proficiencies with aseptic techniques, cloning techniques, gel electrophoresis, and western blotting are requisite technical skills.
* Demonstrated verbal and written skills in communicating regulatory and technical information.
* Proficiency in use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, GraphPad Prism.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Except where prohibited by applicable state law, this position requires that you be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation or qualify for an exemption.
- Biochemical Assays
- Cell Biology
- Cleaning Agent
- Cloning (Biology)