Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion. Beyond our competitive compensation, full array of insurances, generous 401(k) plan, parental leave, commuter subsidy, career development, we also offer a vibrant, friendly, diverse, inclusive, passionate, and inspiring work environment.
The Jr. Project Accounting Manager-Africa will provide accounting and financial compliance support to ACDI/VOCA field accounting and HQ project management teams operating primarily in Africa. The position will closely interact with HQ based Project Directors, Project Specialists, field office accounting teams, and Chiefs of Parties. The position requires accounting analysis, preparation of various accounting reports, ensuring accuracy of general ledger transactions, mentoring field office accounting staff, and other complex accounting matters. This is a flexible headquarters-based position in the Washington DC metropolitan area.
The Jr. Project Accounting Manager-Africa monitors field office operations to ensure that all internal control procedures established by ACDI/VOCA are implemented and followed.
1. Manage the Francophone Project Portfolio
* Manage the overall project accounting of Africa project portfolio.
* Reconcile HQ balance sheet accounts for assigned projects - prepaids expenses, accruals, due to/from general ledger accounts.
* Perform independent projects bank reconciliations.
Financial reporting and field office support to countries
* Review of general ledger transactions received from field office to identify deviations from procedures described in the Field Financial Manual/Process Guidelines and work with field office accounting staff on correction of the procedures.
* Review of project field office financial documents and timesheets for completeness and audit readiness.
* Confirm accuracy of field office accrued benefits and accrued subawards.
* Record realized forex gain/loss and project assets.
* Monitor project specific transactions that have been prepaid to ensure timely reallocation of costs.
* Analyze and follow up with field offices on outstanding accounts receivable (employee, volunteers, consultants, subgrants).
* Ensures suspense accounts used for shared costs and labor allocation processes have cleared monthly.
* Review fringe and expat allowance allocation to ensure that it matches timesheet LOE.
* Review field office balance sheet account reconciliations and P&L for anomalies; Communicate concerns, issues, and questions to field finance staff and project management.
* Review and/or approve project related cash advance, travel expense reports, and procurement invoices.
* Update field office QuickBooks class lists and chart of accounts, as needed.
* Ensures completion of the monthly inventory of field office financial document upload to SharePoint.
* Build field office finance capacity by providing on-going training in the area of accounting and cash forecasting.
* Collaborate with and backstop, as needed, other Project Accountants assigned to Africa field offices to ensure Africa portfolio is well supported overall.
* Prepare monetization and commodity journal entries and related analysis, as needed.
* Travel to the field office to train field office accountants and lead project financial close out, as needed.
* Assist Managing Director, Project Accounting with preparation of the month-end close financial compliance summary report and the sub-recipient aging report.
* Review sub-recipient payment requests and invoices.
2. Other Management Responsibilities
* Manage various projects trackers and analysis.
* Support annual and donor audits by preparing audit samples, schedules, and other requested client assistance.
* Respond to requests for information and assistance.
* Attend departmental and project financial review meetings.
* Travel internationally up to 10% on average.
* Support and enhance the company's culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and align with our corporate values by treating others with respect and congeniality.
* Perform other tasks relevant to the nature of the position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited institution or its equivalent in training and experience.
* Minimum 6 years of experience working at a level of a Senior Project/Grants Accountant with hands on experience reconciling General Ledger accounts and interacting with field offices.
* Strong knowledge of USG regulations (i.e. 2CFR 200, FTR, and Sub-recipient monitoring) and GAAP.
* Experience working with international U.S. NGO organizations supporting complex programs with multi sites, partners, and funders.
* Ability to multitask, work under tight deadlines, and in a fast-paced environment.
* Self-starter and ability to work with minimal supervision. Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
* Excellent communication, skills required. Strong verbal and written communication skills in English are required.
* Fluency in French required.
* Field office or work abroad experience preferred.
* Experience with multi-media applications, Accounting Software packages (QuickBooks), Power Point, Excel, and other Microsoft programs. Knowledge of Agresso Business World a plus.
* Ability and willingness to travel internationally on short notice; must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
* Good interpersonal skills and ability to work across diverse cultures and personalities.
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
* Strong analytical, organizational, research, and problem-solving skills.
* Proven customer service and relationship-building skills.
* Commitment to excellence and high standards.
* Dependability and a strong work ethic are essential.
* Must be available during core business hours and/or operating hours for international time differences; flexibility to work more hours when needed.
* Flexibility to work in office based on work demands.
* Must adhere to our company's Health Safety Code of Conduct, fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or receive approved exception.
- Accounting Control
- Accounting Software
- Balance Sheet
- Bank Reconciliation