Job ID:19002959Job Description:
Analyzes requirements to meet demand and performance of products, systems and/or data. May perform engineering design evaluations which will include cost-effective utilization of materials. May design, develop, test and implement all components, equipment, and software within the functional area of Software Designed Networking and Cloud technologies. Primary responsibilities will include collaborative design, development, and support of cloud and SDN solutions including architecture, development of prototypes in lab, development of production environments within a DevOps framework. Provides technical leadership and direction in area of expertise for engineering staff. Enhances operations and maintain reliability of systems. May perform administrative work relating to projects and assignments. Acts as technical consultant within and outside assigned department in area of expertise. Promotes positive change in the company's business strategy through achievement of customer specific objectives and technological innovation of practical and profitable nature. Works on problems of diverse scope. Exercise full understanding of practices, policies and procedures. Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work. This salaried position reports directly to the Manager of Service Architecture within the Architecture & Technology organization.
- In depth understanding of telecommunications industry.
- Expert knowledge of software design, development, and cloud native applications.
- Expert knowledge of networking fundamentals, design, protocols, and systems.
▪ Expert knowledge of microservice development patterns, principles, and container technologies
- Expert knowledge of microservice/container platforms and architectures (Kubernetes, etc.)
- Working experience with Linux/Unix.
- Working experience with coding languages (such as Golang, C, Java, Python, or NodeJS)
- Working experience with API development (such as REST/JSON or gRPC)
- Working experience with git and continuous integration technologies (GitLab, Jenkins, etc.).
- Understanding of SDN & SDN controllers (such as ONOS or ODL).
- Understanding of Openflow or programmable network technologies.
- Experience working in collaborative agile development environments (Kanban is a plus).
- Good analytical skills; the ability to prioritize projects
▪ Good oral and written communication skills; self-starter
- Mission oriented and good interpersonal skills
- Good project management skills
- Working knowledge of white-box networking/switching and leaf/spine architecture are a plus.
- Working experience with declarative configuration management tools (such as Ansible, Puppet,
etc) and other DevOps tools & best practices.
- Working experience with orchestration, messaging, event and stream processing technologies
(such as RabbitMQ, NATS, Kafka, NodeRed etc.).
- Working experience with virtualization and cloud technologies including OpenStack and KVM
(secondarily AWS, GCE/GKE, Azure, Xen, VMware, and Hyper-V experience).
- Working experience with key/value stores (such as Redis or Cassandra) and RDBMS (such as
MySQL or PostgreSQL).
- Working experience of cloud orchestration and modeling languages and specifications such as
YAML, HEAT, and TOSCA.
- Working experience with serialization (such as Protocol Buffers, etc).
- Ability to stay current with the economic and technological developments in the industry.
- Active involvement in open Cloud, SDN, and NFV projects (such as OpenStack, CORD, TIP,
OPNFV, and ONAP) and open-source community is a plus.
- Working experience with storage (NAS, SAN block, file) & object storage clustering (such as
Ceph or GlusterFS)
- Working experience with application load balancing and proxies (such as NGINX and HAProxy)
- Understanding of machine learning and machine learning frameworks (such as TensorFlow or
Theano) is a plus.
- Understanding of Artificial Intelligence is a plus.
- Experience with P4 is a plus.
The candidate must be able to perform the following six key job functions:
Engineering Strategy - Collaborate with Marketing on how to leverage existing network capabilities that
can be revenue generating, feature requests with partner vendors for product enhancements, new vendor
analysis and network expansion capabilities as a result of market analysis.
Definition and Design – The service is directly related to the network/equipment capabilities. Work with
peers in Architecture & Engineering team to determine the full capabilities, what we want to include,
work around limitations and finalize the features to be offered to our customers. Identify ICB
capabilities/features that we may want to offer to customers on ad-hoc basis.
Testing and Trials – Participate in testing vendor solutions and code revision varieties to determine the
most stable/reliable solution. Assist with running the final selection through internal/external trials to
proof in features, overcome lab limitations and work with real world scenarios.
Customizing the Design – Work in conjunction with Business Units to define primary customer
implementation scenarios. Ensure the technical requirements are gathered at the right stages and designed
according to the engineering standards.
Implementation of the Design via IT and Engineering Systems: Take the defined requirements above,
work with IT and engineering systems to get them implemented. Also, document all technical
requirements; work with Business Units, process organization and IT to finalize the mechanism on how
technical attributes get passed through the process
Minimum Requirements:College degree in Engineering or a related field and 5-7 years professional level experience with 0-2 years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or 9 years professional level related Engineering/Technical experience with 0-2 years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related Engineering/Technical experience required.
EEO Statement: Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.