In 2020, united in a fierce commitment to deliver the highest quality care and exceptional patient experience, Virginia Mason and CHI Franciscan Health came together as natural partners to build a new health system centered around the patient: Virginia Mason Franciscan Health. Our combined system builds upon the scale and expertise of our nearly 300 sites of care, including 11 hospitals and nearly 5,000 physicians and providers. Together, we are empowered to make an even greater impact on the health and well-being of our communities.
CHI Franciscan and Virginia Mason are now united to build the future of patient-centered care across the Pacific Northwest. That means a seamlessly connected system offering quality care close to home. From basic health needs to the most complex, highly specialized care, our patients can count on us to meet their needs with convenient access to the region’s most prestigious experts and innovative treatments and technologies.Responsibilities
This job is responsible for providing cath lab nursing care of adult patient populations undergoing cardiac procedures in the cath lab to include inpatient, outpatient and emergent.
Work is performed under standards of safety and care that provide instruction/guidance for taking care of issues and patient needs in the absence of a physician. Requires the use of judgment and critical thinking skills in making decisions regarding patient care (within the scope of practice), including knowledge and integration of available standards, resources and data, and in the efficient utilization of staff/resources. Work involves continuous contact with physicians, patients, patient families, community agencies, patient care staff and management. An incumbent is accountable for the quality of care provided to patients, and has the authority to direct care, provide education, seek resources at the unit/department level, and delegate appropriate tasks.
- Provides care for patients undergoing a cardiac procedure including prep/admission, education of both patient and their family and post procedure care.
- Administers and maintains sedation and analgesia by order of the physician. Assesses, diagnoses, and intervenes in the event of complications.
- Monitors and assesses the patient receiving the sedation and analgesia throughout diagnostic and therapeutic cardiac procedures.
- Provides on-call coverage for cath lab at designated hospital and responds within 30 minutes of call.
- Adheres to the department’s and hospital’s policies and procedures, including safety, risk management and regulatory standards. Keeps abreast of trends, developments and regulatory requirements impacting matters within designated scope of responsibility.
- Administers, oversees and documents the administration of medications (e.g., topically, orally, intramuscularly, subcutaneously and intravenously) as ordered by the healthcare practitioner and in accordance with hospital policy.
- Assesses patient to include physical, psychosocial, cultural, behavioral/emotional, developmental and spiritual needs. Gathers data relevant for patient care. Implements appropriate patient interventions and evaluates outcomes. Plans care appropriately based on needs identified during initial and on-going assessments. Provides holistic, comprehensive, and professional nursing care to patient within the scope of practice. Implements appropriate patient interventions and evaluates outcomes. Prepares patient for discharge and assists with coordinating post discharge needs.
- Demonstrates competent professional practice and engages in opportunities for professional growth. Demonstrates self accountability to meet stated deadlines for all mandatory requirements.
- Documents care delivered and patient status utilizing the nursing process in accordance with FHS standards of care, for example, changes in patient condition, patient responses to intervention and reassessments of pertinent findings. Receives and assures appropriateness, accuracy, timeliness and execution of physician orders.
- Identifies opportunities for, and participates in, performance/quality improvement activities to improve clinical outcomes, healthcare delivery systems and address patient safety/satisfaction and cost containment.
- Incorporates critical thinking into daily practice as demonstrated by quality of care provided, transfer of knowledge, follow through and patient outcomes. Leads, coordinates, and communicates the ongoing delivery of patient care services provided by members of assigned patient care teams(s); considers patient acuity and the competencies of care team members in delegating and assigning work and in adjusting assignments as necessary; assesses and monitors team performance to ensure the quality of care provided is consistent with the FHS standards and regulatory requirements. Coordinates nursing care and advocates for patient needs so that all appropriate disciplines are informed of and participating in the plan of care.
- Prepares patient for examination/procedure. Routinely explains delays. Assesses, monitors, and intervenes as indicated during and post examination or procedure.
- Provides health care education and guidance to patient and/or families. Educates regarding results, findings and diagnoses to patient and/or patient’s family within scope of practice.
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing, BSN preferred
- One year of related work experience in an acute care setting is preferred.
- If assigned to the Procedure area - previous cardiac cath Lab experience or a minimum of two years experience within the past three years in an acute care setting, i.e., ICU, PCU, PACU ER.
- Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump experience preferred.
- Successful completion of department orientation.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse issued by the Washington State Board of Nursing.
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare BLS Certification
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification or within six months of hire
- CCRN (Certification in Adult Critical Care) RN preferred
- IV competency must be attained within four months, training is available.
- Cardiac Surgeries
- Intensive Care Unit
- Registered Nurse Certified
- Critical Care
- Post Anesthesia Care Unit
- Cath Lab