CWS is seeking a candidate to provide Technical Writer Intermediate, Level II support for a customer-focused technology service contract supporting the Aviation Logistics Center (ALC) in Elizabeth City, NC. The U.S. Coast Guard Aviation Logistics Center Information Systems Division's objective is to obtain services for IT support and the required on-site technical personnel for mission support for the Asset Logistics Information Management System (ALMIS), Aviation Logistics Center – Logistics Support System (ALC-LSS), Coast Guard Logistics Information Management System (CG-LIMS), Account Management and Help Desk Support. This support includes overall operations of logistics focused on engineered IT systems at ALC and the Coast Guard's applications and enterprise systems.
The Ideal candidate writes and/or edit technical documents, including business proposals, reports, user manuals, briefings and presentations, functional descriptions, system specifications, guidelines, special reports, and other project deliverables to meet contract requirements. Develops outlines and drafts for review and approval by technical specialists and project management ensuring that final documents meet applicable contract requirements and regulations. Researches and gather technical and background information for inclusion in project documentation and deliverables. Consults relevant information sources, including library resources, technical and financial documents, and client and project personnel, to obtain background information, and verify pertinent guidelines and regulations governing project deliverables. Commensurate experience, education, and level of supervision and direction.
The candidate possesses problem solving, verbal and written communication skills. Detail-oriented individual, capable of consistently meeting project and schedule deadlines. The candidate should have experience with Information Technology support within a federal government environment and demonstrated experience in working with various team within the IT support structure.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
• Participates in the design, development, analysis, and implementation of software operating systems and software application programs.
• Works under general supervision, designs software operating systems and applications, including full life cycle design and development.
• Works from specifications to develop and modify operating systems and software applications.
• Participates in the design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation of programs.
• Participates in the definition of design specifications and parameters; assists engineers or analysts with the hardware/software integration of the application or utility into software operating systems.
• Analyzes system architecture requirements; performs requirements acquisition and definition and data analysis.
• May customize purchased applications.
• Performs technical and subject matter research on emerging technologies to determine impacts on application execution.
• Analyzes and documents client needs and requirements.
• Participates in the writing, modifying, and maintaining technical documentation and specifications such as user manuals, system documentation, and training materials.
• Performs integration testing and support of various computer operating and/or network systems.
• Debugs and provides customer support for software operating system and application issues.
• Maintains current knowledge of relevant hardware and software applications as assigned.
• Participates in special projects as required.
• Designs and builds user interfaces for web sites using a variety of graphics software applications, techniques, and tools.
• Experiences in interface design includes animation and special-effects elements.
• Ensures that the "look and feel" supports the organization’s strategies and goals and facilitates user interaction with the system.
• Experiences in open source development, HTML, and knowledge of web architecture/development for the web preferred.
• Updates and maintains ALC website and internal applications that support ALC local processes and USCG product-line unique business solutions with Adobe Pro, SharePoint Designer, and Adobe Lifecycle.
• Authors internal validation documentation to include, but not limited to, technical specifications, special instructions, and regression test plan.
• Manages processes in support of the USCG technical publications infrastructure to provide a comprehensive user help system utilizing, using COTS or GOTS.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or A.A./A.S. in related field or at minimum IT Certification
• Minimum of two (2) year experience in software engineering, including the design, coding, testing, and documentation of computer programs
• Relevant commercial certifications are desired
• ITIL v3 Foundations – desired
• Agency Specific (Favorably adjudicated Background Investigation)
• US Citizen or permanent resident
Other (Travel, Work Environment, Administrative Notes, etc.)
• Limited travel to company office locations and other contract sites may be required
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
EEO is the Law: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Technical Writer II
Hyper Text Markup Language (Html)
Java Script (Programming Language)
Java (Programming Language)