At POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to become the largest producer and marketer of biofuels in the world.
The Public Relations Specialist will be a valued member of the Government Affairs and Communications (GAC) Team at POET. Each member of the GAC Team plays a key role in how team members, investors and external stakeholders, policy leaders and the general public perceive POET.
The Public Relations Specialist will support POET’s public relations efforts, including fielding and responding to media inquiries; writing stories and press releases for local, national, agriculture, and policy outlets; managing POET’s quarterly publication, Vital; and other similar duties. This position may also assist with development of content for POET brochures, graphics, websites, presentations, business summaries and other marketing and communications materials.
A candidate for this position must be able to work in a varied, fast-paced environment. The Public Relations Specialist reports to the Director of Public Relations.
A TYPICAL DAY COULD INCLUDE:
- Manage deadlines and content for POET external written publications including Vital, sponsored articles, website, and other written products.
- Generate tailored ideas, research topics, and interview sources for inclusion in Vital and other POET written materials based on target audiences, i.e. agriculture/farmers, millennials, POET team members.
- Write and edit press releases, articles, talking points and other materials as needed.
- Oversee the development and production processes for POET’s quarterly magazine, Vital.
- Develop and maintain relationships with current and potential magazine advertisers, sell advertisements.
- Monitor biofuels media coverage and stay informed about industry trends.
- Develop relationships at POET biorefineries and communities to identify opportunities to generate local press coverage.
- Manage and keep up to date POET’s internal press lists.
- Assist with media and profile building community events.
- Edit and proofread internal and external materials to ensure alignment with POET brand and standards for publication.
- Complete work in a timely, accurate and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments.
- Identify new opportunities to enhance POET’s brand.
- Build cross functional relationships within POET to help identify story ideas and sources.
- Learn the details of POET’s business and products.
- Maintain a team environment with other departments.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all time and champion POET in the community.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to generate creative ideas and turn them into well-written copy/articles for the promotion of POET.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Ability to effectively work under tight deadlines and manage projects independently.
- Organized, detail oriented and enjoys working collaboratively and learning new skills.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.
PERKS & BENEFITS:
- Full benefits package
- 401k with company match
- Profit sharing
- Tuition reimbursement
- Onsite fitness center
- Volunteer opportunities
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s our code.
- Not a lot of physical labor as most of your time will be in the office at your desk where you can sit or stand.
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. #choosebiofuels