Senior Dual-Skill Designer - Winston-Salem, NC
Senior Dual-Skill Designer ( merchandising displays / POP displays ) - Winston-Salem, NC
5900 Grassy Creek Blvd
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, 27105
WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Dual-Skill Designer - Winston-Salem, NC.
The Senior Dual Skill Designer position develops innovative, cost effective, visually appealing and structurally sound point of point of purchase displays and merchandising solutions utilizing the dual skill set of both structural and graphic design. They have a very high aptitude for overall project management and are able to lead a team effectively.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Interact with Account Executives and customers to ascertain design needs and creative objectives
- Perform Graphic Designer duties, as required, including developing projects using standard techniques: ideation/concept development (sketching and/or digital), 3D modeling/rendering (Strata, Form Z, etc.), graphic layout/messaging (Adobe), 2D visual capabilities, pre-press art verification (image corrections, proofing, production ready print files), produce comps
- Prepare graphic design files for proofing, mock-up, and final output; coordinate with customer's graphics department as needed
- Perform Structural Designer duties, as required, including conveying concepts with quick sketches (fast and fluid), and CAD (Artios) visualization; producing samples and mock ups using various techniques and skills such as Drafting (2D/3D), model making, various knife tools and cutting tables (Konsberg/DataTech Tables); creating promotional materials and developing Bill of Material (BOM), POG, Specifications, Palletization, Cape-Tops, ect.
- Responsible for project development record keeping, file naming/part numbering, utilizing project management system
- Work collaboratively with Design Manager, Sales personnel and other designers and offices to develop customer programs; participate in or lead project review meetings with Sales, Project management and other designers
- Develop presentation material and assist with the presentation of abstract ideas, as well as formal presentations in a variety of settings (one-on-one, small and large groups to include peers, supervisors and clients); manage presentation process as needed
- Perform Technical Illustration tasks as required i.e., Plan-o-grams, Assembly Instructions, Retail Assembly Instructions, Digital Photography, Illustrator and Photoshop work
- Effectively prepare and present ideas, concepts and presentations to customers
- High-level understanding of overall project management and project flow from concept creation to production and retail execution
- Work collaborative with project management personnel to manage accounts and projects
- Travel, as required, for customer support, training, meetings, and manufacturing and assembly plant support
- Other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Ability to Execute - Targets and achieves results, sets and accomplishes challenging goals, prioritizes and manages tasks effectively, maintains an organized system to monitor progress, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets standards and responsibilities, may provide leadership/motivation.
Commitment to Task - Meets commitments, works independently, accepts ownership of projects and outcomes, takes personal responsibility and sets objectives/standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements, shows a sense of urgency about getting results.
Communication - Clearly exchanges thoughts, ideas and messages through written, verbal and non-verbal methods that promote an understanding with the target audience. Creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers engaging presentations, shares information and ideas with others in a timely manner. Listens carefully and attentively.
Customer Focus - For both internal and external customers, builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met in a timely manner, solicits opinions and ideas from customers.
Diversity - Supports an inclusive workplace, incorporates different viewpoints and ideas to maximize performance and contributions of employees, develops strengths in team members, deals respectfully with colleagues, customers and vendors at all levels, understands his/her role in building and sustaining a culture of high performance.
Initiative - Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development, demonstrates a bias for action without prompting.
Innovation - Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, pursues ongoing improvements, supports change, encourages originality, solves problems creatively.
Quality - Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, continuously looks for improvements, finds root cause of problems, owns/acts on problems, seeks opportunities to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
Safety Mindset - Promotes a respect for safety, keeps workplace clean and safe, supports safety programs, policies/procedures, takes preventative and corrective action to address potential safety hazards and prevent future injuries, resists temptation to cut corners where safety is concerned, follows all safety related company policies and complies with location specific safety rules, drives safely on and off company property.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience in Industrial Design, Packaging Design, Graphic Design or Fine Arts is required
- Prior point of purchase display experience is required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. May require the ability to write routine reports and correspondence. May require the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Mathematical Skills
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of and basic computer skills, and a proficiency in Artios CAD software, and vector based & pixel based programs, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Strata, as well as Microsoft Office Suite
This position requires mechanical aptitude, the ability to convey concepts with quick sketches and creative 2D/3D problem solving skills. Good verbal, written and graphics communications skill are also required. This position needs a highly developed sense of aesthetics, print production knowledge, an eye to detail as well as engineering ability and an advanced understanding of how things work. The ability to drive projects to completion in a fast paced, deadline driven environment is a requirement. This position will work both independently and as part of a team and requires a helpful and cooperative attitude, and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described in the Task Development Worksheet are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described in the Task Development Worksheet are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Keywords: designer, pop designer, design engineer, senior design engineer, senior designer, stand-up displays, standup displays, point of purchase, POP, POP display, point of purchase display, point of purchase displays, point-of-purchase display, point-of-purchase displays, signage, signs, sign, POS display, displays, fsdu, FSDUs, free standing display, free standing displays, free standing display unit, free standing display units, shelf edging, dummy packs, strut cards, standees, hanging signs, counter display units, cdu, display packs, endcaps, endcap, display stands, display stand, corrugated, corrugate, formz, 3ds max, Autodesk 3ds, 3d studio, cinema 4d, artios, artios CAD, artiosCAD, photoshop, adobe photoshop, adobe suite, strata, strata 3d, strata-3d, design 3d cx, fabrication, metal, plastic, plastics, merchandising displays
3 D Modeling
Autodesk 3 Ds Max (3 D Graphics Software)