We are seeking to expand our Development Engineering team and have an opportunity for a Development Engineer II to join our Lowell, MA or Latham, NY office. We offer a hybrid work environment, which allows you to work remotely 2-3 days a week and from the office the other days. In this role, you will work with a team of design engineers, civil engineers and applications engineers and project developers to design, review and entitle designs for commercial, government and utility solar PV projects ranging in size from 500kW to 15MW.
About the role:
- Work with the development team in evaluating and performing feasibility analysis on potential sites
- Work with a Senior Development Engineer and the project development, electrical, and civil engineering team in the development of site use permit plan sets and bid level (60%) drawings that will be used for permitting and the IPP bidding process
- Retention and contribution towards proposed improvement of training materials in a continuous improvement environment
- Design projects according to Borrego Design Standards and train new employees on the standards
- Complete review process for each job through milestone drawing releases
- Release and correct PDF sets of plans
- Design with, understand the functionality of and train new employees on the Borrego Design Tools
- Contribute to the development of infrastructure and offer new perspective. We are open to new views and want to leverage professional experience; initiative and recommendations are encouraged
- Permitting and bidding administration as needed as questions arise from the AHJ or the IPP, including working with and advising the project team with respect to design/production modeling considerations
- Management of 5-10 simultaneous projects
- Intermediate understanding of design decisions impact on project cost
- Intermediate understanding of project scheduling and tracking
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- B.S. degree required
- Minimum 2 years’ experience preferred
- Completion of at least 40 NABCEP Credits preferred
- Strong understanding of all relevant codes including a demonstrated experience with utility networks across the country
- Ability to work independently and effectively with project developers, clients, consulting engineers, design, and technical personnel as well as manufacturing partners
- Must be open minded, creative, and possess the ability to modify and expand theories to find creative solutions within the confines of the code
- Ability to substantiate code interpretations and mathematically prove design concepts
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects and tasks is a must
- Experience drafting or reviewing engineering services contracts
- Solid written and oral communication skills are a must
- Ability to effectively communicate design concepts and lead meetings between clients, project engineers, code officials and third party consultants
- Experience with cost estimation of designs preferred
- Computer proficiency with; AutoCAD, PVSYST, MS Project and MS Excel experience preferred
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our comprehensive benefits package includes dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; access to Borrego’s wellness platform; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters bold moves, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego\u0027s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
- Feasibility Studies