Here at the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our Police Officers, Fire Fighters, and Building Inspectors keep our Citizens safe. Our Public Works Staff keep our City clean and help to maintain, build, and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life. Our Engineers help to keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating, and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you’re seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Position posted until filled
General Description and Classification Standards
The selected candidate will serve as Executive Assistant, Sr. within the newly created Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for the City of Atlanta, responsible for providing administrative, operational, and analytical support for the office.
Works under minimal supervision; can set own work sequence and pace within process/department limitations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned
• Processes complaints; initiates office policies; develops internal programs; maintains communication links with senior management
• Tracks regulations
• Assists in the development of performance measures
• Provides input on managerial or administrative policies and procedures, prepares productivity information and workload evaluations
• Responds to complaints and public inquiries concerning City operations, policies or other activities
• Performs special projects such as financial, operational or management audits and feasibility studies.
Uses independent judgment and discretion including the handling of emergency situations, determining and deciding upon procedures to be implemented, setting priorities, maintaining standards and resolving problems.
Typically has formal project management and/or skills development responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
• Knowledge of management and administrative practices, policies and procedures.
• Skill in effectively communicating and interacting with management, employees, members of the general public and all other groups involved in the activities of the City.
• Ability to develop and administer operations and staff plans and objectives.
• Strong writing and editing skills.
• Relentless attention to detail.
• High level organizational skills and proven ability to manage time efficiently, meet deadlines, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work independently and manage projects and discrete tasks with limited supervision.
• Ability to exercise discretion on sensitive and confidential matters.
• Knowledge, demonstrated interest, and/or prior work experience in any of the following fields: investigation, law enforcement, criminal justice, or public service.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration or related field from an accredited college or university; 5 years of work experience in public relations, communications or related area including supervisory experience required; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job.
Preferred Education and Experience
Master’s degree in business or public administration, or related field and seven or more years of work experience in public relations, or communications or related area including supervisory experience preferred.
Licensures and Certifications
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
Cover letter required for submission
Attention To Detail