THIS POSITION INCLUDES A $2,000. SIGNING BONUS
Jacobs is the world’s top supplier of automotive test facilities, providing a full range of services to commercial automotive industry customers. Customers include not only the world’s major vehicle providers and other original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), but also clients from the international motor sports community.
Our experience encompasses virtually every type of automotive test facility, including climatic and driveability wind tunnels; aerodynamic, acoustic, and thermodynamic wind tunnels; emissions test rooms; soak rooms; altitude chambers; engine and powertrain test cells; and electromagnetic anechoic chambers. We not only design and build these facility systems assets but also operate, maintain, and manage these facilities.
The Air Flow Test Engineer will be working in a unique lab in Dearborn that provides air flow, vibe, and fuel system testing. This facility applies numerous testing methods and data acquisition software to support and conduct a variety of Engine Component, Powertrain, Fuel System, and Durability Tests.
BRIEF OUTLINE OF SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Day to day management of all air flow and components related tests, including air induction systems, powertrain cylinder head testing, fuel vapor systems, design-level and production-level test programs, intake manifold and sealing component key life testing, and a wide variety of nonstandard air flow and environmental tests.
- Continuation of Statistical Process Control-type quality control methods to determine environmental chamber and shaker dependability,
- Continued project tracking for new shaker installation and lab reconfiguration project,
- Development of automated report generation process using Microsoft Excel,
- Interpretation and analysis of customer provided acceleration data to determine appropriate vibration test profiles, and
- Coordination and prioritization of multiple test projects simultaneously, including fixture design & fabrication, test profile development, and test instrumentation.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND /OR SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- BS degree in Engineering from an accredited school.
- Experience with air flow measurement techniques and measurement system hardware.
- Familiarity with data acquisition and post processing techniques, and with programming languages such as Matlab and LabView (or equivalent).
- Basic statistical capability, including statistical process control and quality operating system procedures, and six sigma skill set.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to develop and deliver training.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams and work cooperatively toward team goals.
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Ability to work with operators and requesting engineers in definition, development and execution of new testing procedures and analysis.
- Familiar with air flow/vapor flow mapping
- Understanding of air restrictions using pressure and vacuum components to create test set ups
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
- Lifting: Less than 50 lbs, 10%
- Climbing: 10%
- Crawling: NA
- Special clothing/equipment (wearing): PPE required includes safety glasses, safety shoes, gloves, lab coats, and occasional hearing protection, 100%
- Unusual physical requirements: Sitting (90%), Standing (50%), Bending (25%), Stooping (25%). Job requires manual labor.
- High noise level: High noise in vibe lab, air flow, and dyno cells, 100%
- Other: NA
Description of Work Environment
- Inside? Outside? Combination? Where?: Inside, 100%
- Extreme (hot/cold) temperatures involved: NA
- Hazardous conditions - What are they?: Carcinogens (fuel), moving/rotating parts, electrical hazards, 50%)
- Travel/transportation requirements: NA
- Other: NA
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
- Office equipment/machines electrically/battery operated - which?: Computer, copier, 75%
- Vehicles, forklifts, etc. operated which?: NA
- Tools used in trade - which ones?: Overhead lifts (cranes), hand tools (air and manual), 50%
- Other: NA
Criticality of Attendance
- Overtime, regular days, off days: Monday through Friday 40 hrs/wk 7:00am – 3:30pm. Flexibility as workload demands.
- Shift, 1st, 2nd, 3rd: Day shift, may need to transfer to another shift based on job requirements.
- Necessity for regular attendance: Critical, 100%
- Urgency for punctuality: Critical, 100%
- Work hours are normally 40 hours per week/ 5 days per week, Monday thru Friday (7:00AM-3:30PM). Regular attendance of scheduled hours is extremely important. Punctuality and regular attendance are necessary. Flexibility to work additional hours and days other than normally assigned days when workload permits.
Other Essential Functions
- Must undergo an audiometric evaluation as part of the pre-employment screening process, and annually thereafter. Must also pass a pre-employment drug screen, health performance evaluation, and background check.
- Must demonstrate professional behavior at all times when dealing with customers, management and co-workers.
- Must have clear, concise and accurate communications skills in English, both verbal and written.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk to self or others.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a professional manner.
- Dependable personal transportation to work site is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws
and [ Link removed ] .
- Audio Equipments
- Construction Toolkits
- Data Collection
- Environmental Tests