The Rating and Modeling Transmission Engineer is responsible oversight and validate, transmission line Lidar scans, plan and profiles and impedances calculation and thermal rating transmission lines facilities in New York, Main and Connecticut. For new and modified facilities should act as the verifier to ensure the receiving plan and profile and input data to create the line impedance and thermal rating. For legacy facilities, oversight contractor on reviewing existing plans and profiles and model the line, review existing conditions and address discrepancies to comply with NERC FAC-008 and PRC-027.
Review transmission line and profile data coming from projects, model line impedance and return the constants to projects for coordination studies.
• Update and maintain transmission line model data base with reliable information for compliance and modeling process.
• Propose improvements to the rating calculation methodology and take the lead in implementing them.
• Oversight the drawing update process. Ensure all modifications and new documents created during site verifications are captured on record drawings according Avangrid procedures.
• Provides linkage between the Initiator (Project) and the Approver (System Planning) in order to deliver projects according schedule.
• Coordinate with the Projects on the delivery of line ratings calculations, plan and profile, underground cable calculations in accordance to schedule and project needs. Evaluate accuracy of calculations and ensure equipment capabilities meet requirements.
• Oversight of contractors developing Lidar surveys, plan and profiles, calculating thermal ratings and line impedances.
• Act as the rating SME for support to Transmission Planning and Operations. Conduct training for others to better understand the ratings and impedance modeling process.
• Provides technical advice to senior management when required.
• May participate or represent the company in regulatory or public proceedings with NERC, NPCC, ISO.
• Ensure governance processes and procedures are followed.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Minimum 6+ years, 3 - 5 years of experience in Engineering
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
• Experience with transmission lines plan and profile
• Knowledge of FERC/NERC/NPCC and state regulations
• Experience with ASPEN transmission line and short circuit modeling
Education & Experience Preferred:
• Protection and control experience
• Coordination studies
- Develop Self & Others
- Empower to grow
- Collaborate and Share
- Be a role model
- Focus to achieve results
- Be agile
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com