The Engineer will be assisting the design management of the TBM tunnel section included in the Hampton Roads Tunnel Bridge (HRBT) Project. This position will also assist on the design of the associated ground improvements required for tunneling, the design of temporary elements associated to TBM excavation and on the design of the tunnel–portal interface.
The Engineer will be hired by gGravity Engineering USA and will work for HRCP Joint Venture. This position will work with the design and construction teams in the JV site offices, and will also have to work closely with gGravity Engineering Tunnel Division based in Madrid (Spain), that will provide direction and technical support.
The Engineer will be responsible for getting a compliant, efficient and cost-effective design on time. Will need to identify and assist to identify risks and opportunities in a timely manner, and guide the design development. This position will also have to work closely with the cost control and equipment teams.
When HRBT project design effort reduces, approximately in about 2-3 years, the Engineer could start working as gGravity USA Tunnel Engineer, integrated within gGravity’s Tunnel Division, providing technical support to different tunnel projects of Dragados Construction Group in USA, including bids/proposals and construction projects.
- Get a compliant, efficient and cost-effective design on time
- Identify and assist to identify risks and opportunities in a timely manner, and coordinate with gGravity Engineering Tunnel Division based in Madrid (Spain)
- Review and track design packages’ status, generates, and follows up with the request for information (RFIs) or field change requests
- Perform quantity take offs for cost estimates, payment applications, and schedule updates
- Assist the scheduling department
- Assist in the preparation of detailed requisitions for material purchase, services, and subcontracts
- Assist in the preparation and issuance of specifications, data sheets, and other construction documents
- Establish and maintain relationships with clients in order to define their needs, explain technical information, concepts or study results
- Interact with subcontractor, supplier, and equipment vendors
- Scope Development and Price Solicitations
- Verify and complete request for proposals, estimates, and other technical documents
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Engineering (or related field) 5+ years of related work experience
- Experience with and understanding of Tunneling and Mining Construction Requires basic engineering knowledge in civil works and geotechnics
- Familiarity with CAD and other PC software packages typically associated with engineering
- Ability to travel extensively: 50 – 75%
- Organizational ability – able to plan, prioritize, organize and monitor activities and projects
- Ability to work well in a group environment and foster a team approach
- Preferred Knowledge and experience with Scheduling software (i.e. Microsoft Project), Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Experience with tunnel design, including some type of contact with FEM for tunnel design Knowledge about TBM tunneling