An Engineer II supports hardware/software development and design, deployment of cloud services and installation of working IT systems using University technology standards. An individual is responsible for one or more of the following areas: code or system designs, development of system and/or installation of hardware, basic level system administration, security administration, as well as routine maintenance and system upgrades, software/hardware debugging and enhancements to existing IT systems to increase the effectiveness of the product for University use.Responsibilities
- Work onsite in Phoenix as the primary work location to interact, collaborate and coordinate work on a frequent basis with other employees in IT and throughout the University.
- Design, develop, code, test and debug new or existing software applications and installed hardware, and perform firmware and system administration responsibilities.
- Work with technical staff to understand and analyze hardware/software problems and develop, code, test and debug software to resolve issues.
- Participate in the development of IT systems user manuals and/or documentation to support the ongoing use and application of the IT system.
- Demonstrate software and hardware functionality to others to introduce new or enhanced features, as necessary.
- Suggest enhancements or offer alternative resolutions for software, hardware or cloud-based IT systems problems, as appropriate.
- Maintain and increase professional and technical knowledge and currency by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Perform other duties as assigned or apparent.
NOTE: The primary accountabilities above are intended to describe the general content and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or most of the primary accountabilities listed above. Specific goals or responsibilities will be documented in the incumbents’ performance objectives as outlined by the incumbents’ immediate supervisor or manager.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in a technology field and two to four (4) years of experience in most phases of IT systems deployments in one or more of the following areas: design and deployment of cloud services, software development, hardware installation, system administration, cyber security or other functional IT area; OR at least six (6) years of prior experience in most phases of IT systems deployment as noted previously
Preferred Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Experience working and delivering features in an agile or scaled agile team environment.
- Understanding and knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within one or more of the following areas: design and deployment of cloud services, software development, hardware installation, system administration, cyber security or other functional IT area.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with internal and external customers and department staff
- Able to communicate well with others, to perform work in a team environment.
- Experience serving as a resource, mentor and coach for other engineers including less experienced team members.
- Experience onboarding and supporting the success of new team members
- Easily adapt to and embrace a fast moving and rapidly changing work environment
- Demonstrate a growth mindset and exhibit a highly collaborative workstyle
As an Equal Opportunity employer, we particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
- Agile Methodology
- Cloud Computing
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Computer Security