WHO WE ARE
Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration, and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING ENGINEERING PRACTICE
Michael Baker International seamlessly integrates all our service offerings – architecture, planning, landscape architecture, engineering, and management – to solve client challenges from multiple vantage points, providing unsurpassed holistic, sustainable, and innovative solutions. From high-profile, high-image landmarks to low-cost, utilitarian solutions, our professionals know how to balance image and cost appropriately for each unique situation. At Michael Baker International, we believe that the beauty of a project resides both in performance and aesthetics – “success” to us is measured by functionality, value, and exceeding clients’ expectations to “Make a Difference.”
Michael Baker International is seeking an experienced and motivated Engineer I to join our Salt Lake City, Utah, and Denver, CO, team. The Engineer shall be able to develop construction plans including plumbing drawings and details, construction specifications, and cost estimates for a variety of new and renovation type projects. Experience with federal projects, is a plus.
Design requirements will include all types of plumbing systems. The selected candidate will work with the current Senior Mechanical staff and will work in multi-disciplinary, collaborative project design teams with architects, interior designers, civil engineers, design-build contractors, and other building systems engineers.
The successful candidate shall be a responsible and accountable professional and have creative solution-finding, organizational, and time management skills, a passion for solving complex design problems, a track record of producing projects on time and on budget, high standards for quality and performance, and thorough understanding of design and construction processes related to building and site mechanical design and engineering.
As part of our Mechanical Engineering Design Team, you will primarily provide planning, design, and construction support for a variety of federal projects, including design-build projects. You will provide input to the preparation of RFP documents, construction drawings, and specifications. You will build and maintain important relationships with the team, customers, subcontractors, and vendors.
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Utilize Revit software to complete design and construction drawings.
- Lead or support the plumbing engineering design efforts on multiple projects.
- Adhere to budget and schedule of projects.
- Assist with defining scope of work and man-hour estimates.
- Perform activities and produce documentation associated with design, construction, and contract documents, including products and systems research, code analysis, calculations, life cycle cost analysis, field documentation, reports, drawings, specifications, and design analysis.
- Perform design work under minimum supervision.
- Check drawings to assure compliance with engineering codes and drafting standards.
- Review project requirements and specifications and confer with other disciplines and managers to determine assistance required in plan preparation, evaluation of project conditions, design changes, and reports.
- Prepares clear, complete, and accurate working plans and detail drawings from layouts, rough or detailed sketches, electronic databases, or written or verbal instructions.
- Maintain a working knowledge of government and industry design criteria and standards.
- Perform client and project needs assessments, determine, and discuss potential solutions, and ensure satisfactory customer service. Also, attend project meetings to present design concepts and make adjustments to meet client requirements.
- Prepare and present technical and program information to team members, management, and clients in a clear and logical manner.
- Complete design tasks by detailing the scope of work, conducting the analysis, inspecting the site, reviewing the requirements to assure the quality of the assigned task.
- Coordinate or perform field work to gather data and materials.
- Edit and review technical specifications and prepare a written narrative as part of the project deliverables.
- Perform quality control procedures such as reviewing project deliverables prior to client submissions.
- Review shop drawings and submittals, respond to RFI’s, and perform site visits as needed during the construction phase.
- Travel occasionally as required, for project meetings and on-site work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited program
- 4+ years of mechanical engineering experience
- E.I.T. and P.E. license is required
- Additional certifications are a plus
- Experience in plumbing design for a variety of project types, federal projects are a plus
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) to effectively interface and communicate with team members, customers, subcontractors, and vendors
- Familiarity with government, client, and industry local codes, regulations, and standards governing design and construction projects
- Complete work in efficient and accurate manner while being organized and assertive
- Ability to manage working on multiple projects and meet deliverable deadlines
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with no dual citizenship
- Capable of networking and building relationships with a wide variety of people
- Ability to be a motivated self-starter who displays a passion for solving problems and interacting in a team environment
- Availability to occasionally travel to project locations
- Experience with Autodesk Revit
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Teams, and Outlook) and PDF software such as Adobe or Bluebeam
- Knowledge of Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) and Unified Facilities Guided Specifications (UFGS)
- Knowledge of Trane Trace 700 or 3D Plus, or equivalent load software
- LEED accreditation
The salary range for this position is $93,000 to $140,000. This will be dependent on the experience and expertise of the incoming candidate.
Michael Baker International, a leading provider of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management, has been solving some of the world’s most complex infrastructure challenges for more than 80 years with a legacy of expertise, experience, innovation and integrity.
Based in Pittsburgh and with nearly 100 offices nationwide, we partner with clients on everything from roads, bridges, tunnels, mass transit, and airports, to water treatment plants, arctic oil pipelines, environmental restoration and specialized overseas construction. We serve as a trusted adviser to the communities we serve, making them safer, more accessible, more sustainable and more prosperous.
We provide visionary leadership in facilitating transformational change for our clients. Our work delivers differentiating innovations and dedicated experts who challenge the status quo and share a world of diverse experience and an impassioned entrepreneurial spirit. We deliver quality of life.
We Make a Difference.
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified, and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.
- Architectural Drawing
- Autodesk Revit