To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- University Park, IL 60466
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Emergency Vehicle Technician
Federal Signal • University Park, IL
Posted 14 days ago
Federal Signal in University Park is a leading manufacturer and supplier of comprehensive systems and products used to protect people and property. Our products and integrated solutions include systems for campus and community alerting, emergency vehicles, first responder interoperable communications, industrial communications, and command and municipal networked security. Specific products include: lightbars and sirens, public warning sirens and public safety software. Federal Signal is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Currently seeking an Emergency Vehicle Technician to work in the Upfitting department at Federal Signal's University Park, IL facility.
Summary of Position:
Responsible for the complete installation of emergency warning products and equipment into emergency and utility vehicles, including the programming and testing of installed equipment.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Install emergency warning equipment and products according to prints, assembly drawings, process documents and other job requirements sheets.
Conduct basic programming of installed equipment, test its full functionality and perform troubleshooting when needed.
Assess the quality of each vendor-supplied or manufactured part and/or assembly used, inspecting for flaws in its manufacture and functionality and report any such flaws to supervision.
Responsible for moving, retrieving, and storage of materials.
Monitor stock of supplies for each work station; order supplies as needed.
Follow all safety and departmental rules.
Maintain an orderly and clean working environment, keeping the shop organized.
Complete all required paperwork (service orders, work logs, timecards, etc.)
Perform other related duties as assigned.
In addition to excellent career growth opportunities, Federal Signal Corporation offers a wide array of benefits including: insurance (life, medical, dental, vision), paid holidays, paid vacation, 401(k) with matching contributions and tuition reimbursement. We provide our employees with a smoke-free, drug-free workplace.
• High School diploma required
• Must be EVT-certified (Emergency Vehicle Technician Certification) or able to become certified within the next 12 months and be recertified every 5-years
• At least 1 year experience in automotive warning equipment installation (e.g. experience installing emergency lighting, two-way mobile radios, GPS equipment, antennas or other electrical equipment)
• Must have a valid driver license with a clean driving history.
• Experience with Law Enforcement or Fire/EMS preferred
Intermediate knowledge of automotive electrical systems & vehicle wiring
• Ability to operate power tools and hand tools (drill, wrench, nail gun, staple gun, gauge, vise, etc) as required.
• Mechanical aptitude, attention to detail and sound judgment required.
• Attention to detail a must with mechanical aptitude.
• Ability to communicate well with others
• Ability to work on and see colored small objects
• Must be mechanically inclined to disassemble mechanical parts for all types of vehicles
• Use of good judgment and knowledge acquired to perform custom fabrication
• Must be innovative and willing to learn in a fast-paced environment
Physical requirements: Standing, walking, climbing 10-12ft ladder, bending and stretching around under and inside vehicles, able to lay inside the truck of vehicles for long periods of time, crawling, kneeling, awkward posturing. Manual dexterity is important for wiring, soldering, etc. Good hand and wrist flexibility, repetitive motions. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs frequently without assistance and 30lbs on a regular basis. Must be able to work in extreme hot and cold temperatures. Must be able to work with different odors and fumes.
Position contingent on passing a drug screen and physical capacity evaluation