Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
Under the direction of the Supervisor, the Accountant is responsible for various monthly closing duties, which include journal entry preparation, cash transaction analysis, account analysis, budget preparation, executive management report preparation, property tax preparation, posting of rents to subsidiary ledgers and CPI rent preparation. The Accountant will become familiar with the HMH Corporate structure and its system of internal control. The Accountant will be required to interface with various system departments (i.e., Information Technology, Internal Audit, and Employee Benefits etc.), external business partners (i.e., financial services vendors, doctors, tax consultants, etc.). This position may also require interfacing with our internal auditors. Real Estate accounting background is strongly preferred.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- 1. Prepare journal entries with appropriate supporting documentation.
- 2. Maintain assigned general ledger accounts through monthly reconciliation.
- 3. Assist departments in explanation of actual operating results.
- 4. Assist in preparing for external audits through preparation of audit schedules.
- 5. Assist Supervisor with information requests from other departments.
- 6. Assist with tax preparation.
- 7. Assist in identifying ways to streamline workload and in documenting departmental procedures and interfaces with other departments.
- 8. Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- 9. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
- 10. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
- 11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
- Bachelors Degree with a major in Accounting or Finance required.
- 2 or more years accounting experience directly related to accounting or finance.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Professional certification preferred (i.e.; CPA, CIA, etc.)
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- 1. Must have a working knowledge of general software applications.
- 2. Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (i.e., word, excel, access, etc).
- 3. Must possess good verbal and written communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.