You have high standards. So do we. Here at UnitedHealth Group, this includes offering an innovative new standard for care management. It goes beyond counseling services and verified referrals to programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. That means you’ll have an opportunity to make an impact on a huge scale - as part of an incredible team culture that’s defining the future of behavioral health care.
Please note, During the Covid 19 pandemic this position will be a telecommute/work from home position 100% of the time. Once Covid restrictions are lifted, you will be in the field in the greater New Orleans / Metairie area 80% of the time as described below.
The goal of the Field Care Advocate (FCA) role is to help individuals live their lives to the fullest by promoting recovery and resiliency via coordination and collaboration with multiple internal and external partners including consumers and their families/caregivers, medical, behavioral health and clinical network teams. Field Care Advocates work with complex and high-risk needs with a goal of engaging the consumer in the treatment process, decreasing their reliance on higher levels of care, helping them to access appropriate community services, and assisting them in improving community tenure.
Field-based Behavioral Health Care Advocate is needed in the New Orleans / Metairie, LA area. Must be able to accommodate field-based travel within this region on a daily basis. You will be in the field up to 80% of the time visiting members in their homes, hospitals and local facilities.
If you are located within a commutable distance of New Orleans / Metairie, LA, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Provide case management to members to assess for and find solutions to obstacles to care
- Link members to healthcare providers and community supports
- Work with members via telephone and face to face contacts to address healthcare needs
- Provide field visits to members who have been admitted to behavioral health hospitals
- Meet with members in the hospital and their home
- Assist inpatient behavioral treatment team with discharge planning
- Collaborate treatment plans with outpatient providers
- Assist the member with transitioning back into the community following an out of home placement
- Work with members to assist with getting their medications filled, making follow up appointments and arranging transportation to medical appointments
- Explain behavioral health insurance benefits and what behavioral health services are available
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Licensed Master's degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counseling or Marriage or Family Counseling. Clinically independent license (i.e. LCSW, LMFT, LPC), active and unrestricted in the state of LA.
- 2+ years of experience in a related mental health setting
- Computer / typing proficiency to enter / retrieve data in electronic clinical records; experience with email, internet research, use of online calendars and other software applications
- Access to high speed internet from home and a dedicated workspace
- Reliable transportation and the ability to travel as needed within the designated service delivery area on a daily basis
- Ability to be in the field up to 80% of the time in the territory listed
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- You will be provisioned with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and are required to perform this role with patients and members on site, as this is an essential function of this role.
- Dual diagnosis experience with mental health and substance abuse
- Experience in a community mental health rehab setting
- Field based work
- Experience working in a behavioral health hospital
- Previous experience in a managed care environment
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
No industry is moving faster than health care. And no organization is better positioned to lead health care forward. We need attention to every detail with an eye for the points no one has considered. The rewards for performance are significant. You'll help improve the health of millions. And you'll do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job keywords: case manager, care coordination, care advocate, social worker, therapist, counselor, mental health, behavioral health, field, community mental health, managed care, substance abuse, inpatient, Medicaid, LCSW, LMFT, LPC, New Orleans, Metairie, LA, Jefferson Parish, Parish, Louisiana, Clinician, Therapist, Masters level, Mental health clinician, Behavioral health clinician, Mental health therapist, Behavioral health therapist, Mental health case manager, Behavioral health case manager, Mental health masters, Behavioral health masters, Mental health utilization, Behavioral health utilization, Mental health Medicaid, Behavioral health Medicaid, Clinician