To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- St. Louis, MO 63141
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Community Health Worker
Mercy • St. Louis, MO
Posted 1 month ago
We’re a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
We don’t believe in jobs at Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals; careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart.
At Mercy, you’ll feel our supportive community every step of your day, especially the tough ones. We’re a team and love working that way. That team is expanding, and we currently have exceptional opportunities to help our communities grow.
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is a front line public health worker who is a trusted member of and/or has an unusually close understanding of the community served. This trusting relationship enables the worker to serve as a liaison/link between health/social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery. The clinic-based community health worker will be based in a Mercy primary or specialty care clinic, working with individual patients as part of an integrated team of health care providers. This position is a temporary position that has the possibility of becoming permanent. Coworkers may also have the opportunity to explore other options within Mercy if position is not made permanent.
- Strong, trusting relationship building and collaboration skills.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Patient advocate between patient and community services such as schools, Department Human Services, hospitals, etc.
- Non-clinical coaching/education of patients/families using motivational interviewing.
- Ability to work independently and also function as part of a team.
- Basic knowledge of community resources such as transportation, medication assistance, utility assistance, food pantries, etc.
- Assisting with the completion of applications/registration forms.
- Good time management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Attendance in staff meetings, trainings, and other meetings as requested.
- Computer and typing skills.
- Ability and willingness to provide emotional support, encouragement, and motivation to patients.
- Compassion for the poor and underserved members of the community.
Each career at Mercy represents unique members of our caring ministry’s “body”, working together for the health and strength of the whole. To achieve our goals, we need all the parts functioning at their best and this requires the specific qualifications that you’ll bring with you:
- Associate’s degree OR 2 years of college required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.Successful completion of Community Health Worker (CHW) formal training program is preferred.
- Knowledge of some medical terminology is preferred
- Two or more years in any health setting
- Bilingual preferred
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds to benefit-eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.