Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Abbott Park (Lake Bluff), IL currently has an opportunity for a Project Lead Specimen Bank
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
This full-time, mission-critical and highly-visible role supports all Abbott R&D products. Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Will be individual contributor, leading lab projects, performing intake of information from Abbott scientists and helping them source lab specimen samples from vendors outside of Abbott.
- Interacts with multiple groups to support projects. The collection; handling; storage; and shipment of clinical specimens used in studies for the development of new or modified in-vitro diagnostic products.
- Performs phlebotomy; if certified.
- Supports the manufacture of research reagents.
- Processes the shipment of research reagents to worldwide study sites
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Plans, directs, creates and communicates clinical study time-lines.
- Gathers input from cross-functional teams and creates plans that help the team produce deliverables on schedule.
- Ensures consistency of clinical study and processes across clinical trials.
- Oversees and resolves operational aspects of clinical trials in conjunction with project teams and in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP), good clinical practice (GCP) and specific country regulations such as site and vendor selection, preparing clinical trial budgets.
- Ensures study is conducted within clinical trial protocols.
- Monitors progress and follows up with team members and line managers when issues develop.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and biologics. Complies with all policies; and procedures related to the Specimen Bank and/or Clinical Services. General knowledge of laboratory environment; laboratory techniques and safety practices.
- Receive, inspect, store, transfer, ship, maintain accountability and inventory for clinical specimens
- Participate in a 24 hour on-call rotation to maintain the integrity of controlled temperature assets
- Participate in Abbott sponsored specimen collection studies as clinical study coordinator; obtaining informed consent from study participants – as delegated, performing venipuncture, and maintaining documentation, etc., related to blood; urine; etc. collections
- Identify offsite blood donation facilities across Abbott so that prospective collection activities may be completed in accordance with study needs – will further identify and coordinate equipment needs for unique blood collection activities
- Work with Principal Investigator, identify appropriate emergency medical facilities that will support mobile specimen collection activities at offsite study locations
- Identify and arrange for offsite specimen transportation in accordance with applicable bio transportation regulations
- Plan and execute daily tasks with efficiency; minimal supervision. Functions with a high degree of independence
- Participate in quality improvement activities to improve efficiencies and/or effectiveness of products and services
- Implement and maintain process for building specimen collection kits to include: processing requests, ensuring quality controls, and shipping
- Establish and maintain laboratory/freezer maintenance schedule
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor's degree required, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 6+ years of experience with or exposure to a technical / clinical environment, laboratory instrumentation and / or medical diagnostic testing to develop the competence to meet the skills and responsibilities of the position.
- experience managing investigator-initiated studies, including previous Clinical Affairs/Scientific Affairs responsibilities - experience publishing research and/or working with others to publish research (journal articles, abstracts, posters)
- experience working with third-party vendors (agencies, CROs, data analytics companies)
- familiarity with point of care or other diagnostic platforms; expertise or understanding of the management of Acute Coronary Syndromes or cardiac biomarkers is a plus
- proficient knowledge of regulations and standards affecting medical diagnostics
- ability to collaborate
- ability to clearly, concisely and accurately convey communications with a wide variety of stakeholders
- ability to travel up to 50% of the time by any means necessary to support organizational goals
- ability to work cross-functionally to achieve organizational goals
- ability to work independently, displaying good judgment and decision making
- ability to form and develop interpersonal, professional relationships; display socially and professionally appropriate behavior
- Masters Degree preferred.
- FreezerWorks or similar inventory management system experience.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- Pension Plan
The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Project Lead Specimen Bank
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Project Lead Specimen Bank, on Facebook at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Project Lead Specimen Bank and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
- Clinical Trials
- Good Clinical Practices (Gcp)
- Storage (Warehousing)
- Laboratory Techniques