Type: Contract to Direct & Direct Options based on Experience (contract conversion period 4-6 months)
Location: McPherson, KS (Conway, KS)
Client Site: CHS McPherson Refinery
Our client is seeking an experienced Mechanical/Project Engineer (4-7 years of experience) to join our Energy & Chemicals Business Unit in Conway, KS. This full time position, will be responsible for engineering, design, coordination, client communications and associated construction administration.
This Engineer will work in a dynamic multi-discipline environment, accountable for the oversight of engineering deliverables, calculations, systems and equipment selection, mechanical design, mechanical engineering budget and schedule management, maintain professional relationships with vendors, customers, and other company personnel as required by projects. The Engineer will work with other engineering and technical personnel to ensure overall project goals are met.
- Application of Knowledge in Oil, Gas & Chemical facilities/systems:
- Ensures understanding and compliance with owner’ s requirements of the facility or corporate standards related to mechanical design and project execution.
- Confirms and reviews applicable codes and standards such as, but not limited to, the IBC, ASME, API, PIP and NFPA.
- Given the scope of design services, the owner’ s facility standards, and relevant industry standards, establish and document the mechanical systems basis of design and in doing so provide clarification, qualifications and design assumptions regarding relevant design issues.
- Works with facility owner to ensure that the appropriate cost- effective systems and equipment are utilized in their facility.
- Works with owner and construction management team to validate construction cost and provide value-engineering options as necessary.
- Performs and documents engineering calculations related to mechanical engineering for the purpose of selecting code compliant systems and equipment.
- Performs systems and equipment selections.
- Performs sizing of equipment.
- Provides input to piping group related to mechanical equipment and in doing so establishes the appropriate level of detail to ensure completeness and accuracy of design and construction cost.
- Schedules mechanical equipment data sheet and specification reviews.
- Ensures project specifications are complete and accurate.
- Performs pipe stress analysis utilizing software such as CAESAR II, NozzlePro, etc.
- Works with the project team to design a cohesive, technically acceptable, and optimized piping system.
- Performs pressure vessel calculations utilizing the PVElite software.
- Performs detailed reviews of piping isometrics, piping plans, pipe specifications, P&IDs, and other design documents.
- Construction Support:
- Responsible for problem solving for field oversights.
- Responsible for vendor drawing/Submittal review.
- Performs field inspections and review of reports.
- Responsible for addressing project RFI.
- Completes project within provided budget and prepares Change Orders when scope is expanded.
- Provides direction for what is to be included in bid package issue.
- Works with Project Manager to ensure that project schedule will be met and complete documents provided for each deliverable.
- Professional Development:
- Maintains required licensing CEU.
- Proactively attempts to receive in-house/out-of-house training to maintain and update skills.
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from ABET accredited program required.
- Experience working successfully in a collaborative environment.
- 4+ years industry experience.
- Registered Professional Engineer or ability to obtain your PE within the first year of employment.
- Experience with Design/Build and EPC projects.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- Travel to client sites and equipment fabricator shop locations.
- Walking down plant systems and equipment, which includes climbing ladders and stairs.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, scanners, and plotters.