Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum is seeking a Data Engineer with health care experience to implement and manage cross-domain, modular, flexible, scalable, secure, reliable and quality data solutions that transform data to support analytics and insight generation for our clients. The Data Engineer will implement, test, deploy, monitor, and maintain the delivery of data in a systematic method and will support a wide variety of analytical needs for our customers. The Director of Data Engineering will also partner with the broader OAS Analytics organization to harness the power of client data to facilitate analytical insight and will be responsible for building quality and efficiency into every project.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Support the full data engineering lifecycle including research, proof of concepts, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of data management solutions
- Utilize knowledge of various data management technologies to drive data engineering projects
- Lead data acquisition efforts to gather data from various structured or semi-structured source systems of record to hydrate client data warehouse and power analytics across numerous health care domains
- Leverage combination of ETL/ELT methodologies to pull complex relational and dimensional data to support loading DataMart’s and reporting aggregates.
- Eliminate unwarranted complexity and unneeded interdependencies
- Detect data quality issues, identify root causes, implement fixes, and manage data audits to mitigate data challenges
- Implement, modify, and maintain data integration efforts that improve data efficiency, reliability, and value
- Leverage and facilitate the evolution of best practices for data acquisition, transformation, storage, and aggregation that solve current challenges and reduce the risk of future challenges
- Effectively create data transformations that address business requirements and other constraints
- Partner with the broader analytics organization to make recommendations for changes to data systems and the architecture of data platforms
- Support the implementation of a modern data framework that facilitates business intelligence reporting and advanced analytics
- Prepare high level design documents and detailed technical design documents with best practices to enable efficient data ingestion, transformation and data movement.
- Leverage DevOps tools to enable code versioning and code deployment.
- Leverage data pipeline monitoring tools to detect data integrity issues before they result into user visible outages or data quality issues
- Leverage processes and diagnostics tools to troubleshoot, maintain and optimize solutions and respond to customer and production issues
- Continuously support technical debt reduction, process transformation, and overall optimization
- Leverage and contribute to the evolution of standards for high quality documentation of data definitions, transformations, and processes to ensure data transparency, governance, and security
- Ensure that all solutions meet the business needs and requirements for security, scalability, and reliability
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in information technology, engineering, math, computer science, analytics, engineering or other related field)
- 2+ years of combined experience in data engineering, ingestion, normalization, transformation, aggregation, structuring, and storage
- 2+ years of combined experience working with industry standard relational, dimensional or non-relational data storage systems
- 2+ years of experience in designing ETL/ELT solutions using tools like Informatica, DataStage, Health Catalyst, SSIS , PL/SQL, T-SQL, etc.
- 2+ years of experience in managing data assets using SQL, Python, Scala, Java, R or other similar querying/coding language
- 2+ years of experience working with healthcare data or data to support healthcare organizations
- 2+ years of experience working with Health Catalyst product offerings, including data warehousing solutions, knowledgebase, and analytics solutions
- 2+ years of experience in creating Source to Target Mappings and ETL design for integration of new/modified data streams into the data warehouse/data marts
- Epic certifications in one or more of the following modules: Caboodle, EpicCare, Grand Central, Healthy Planet, HIM, Prelude, Resolute, Tapestry, or Reporting Workbench
- Experience in Unix or Powershell or other batch scripting languages
- Depth of experience and proven track record creating and maintaining sophisticated data frameworks for healthcare organizations
- Experience supporting data pipelines that power analytical content within common reporting and business intelligence platforms (e.g. Power BI, Qlik, Tableau, MicroStrategy, etc.)
- Experience supporting analytical capabilities inclusive of reporting, dashboards, extracts, BI tools, analytical web applications and other similar products
- Exposure to Azure, AWS, or google cloud ecosystems
- Exposure to Amazon Redshift, Amazon S3, Hadoop HDFS, Azure Blob, or similar big data storage and management components
- Desire to continuously learn and seek new options and approaches to business challenges
- A willingness to leverage best practices, share knowledge, and improve the collective work of the team
- Experience contributing to cross-functional efforts with proven success in creating healthcare insights
- Ability to effectively communicate concepts verbally and in writing
- Experience and credibility interacting with analytics and technology leadership teams
- Willingness to support limited travel up to 10%
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance.
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $64,800 to $116,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Data Science Engineers, data science, Python, Scala, R, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Work at Home, Work from Home, Remote, Nashville, TN, Tennessee