MEDICAL DIRECTOR OF KENNESTONE PSYCHIATRY
Monday through Friday
A member of the Mayo Clinic Network, WellStar Health System is an 10-hospital system, recognized as the 5th most integrated health system in the United States, and one of the largest health systems in Georgia.
WellStar is committed to investing in the communities we serve. We continue to develop innovative care models, focused on improving quality and access to healthcare. To this end, under the umbrella of Wellstar’s Behavioral Health Service Line, the WellStar Medical Group is excited to announce an opportunity for a Medical Director of Psychiatry to support the Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center (KRMC) in Marietta, GA.Responsibilities
The Wellstar KRMC is a 633-bed, Level II trauma, and tertiary care hospital that serves a north Atlanta suburban population. To support the psychiatric and behavioral needs of medically hospitalized patients, the KRMC has a robust inpatient psychiatric consultation-liaison service, delivering care to patients on the medical floors. This team is comprised of a multi-disciplinary team of psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, and masters-level therapists.
Wellstar Kennestone’s Emergency Department is the highest-volume ED in Georgia and one of the five busiest in the United States. With high behavioral health volumes in the Emergency Department, the KRMC ED is staffed 24/7 by a Behavioral Health Resource Team (BHRT) of masters-level therapists. These clinicians conduct mental health assessments and coordinate care from the ED to inpatient and outpatient services. Their work is supported by a 24/7 contracted telepsychiatry service.
In an effort to further integrate Kennestone’s psychiatric services, we are actively recruiting a Medical Director of Kennestone Psychiatry. Reporting to Wellstar’s Chief Behavioral Health Officer through the Medical Group’s Department of Psychiatry, the Medical Director of Kennestone Psychiatry will allocate 20% time to administrative functions and 80% time to the delivery of psychiatric care.
Clinical Responsibilities (80%)
- Holds hospital privileges at the KRMC
- Provides on-site psychiatric services, Monday through Friday, in support of the KRMC’s Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry service
- Provides psychiatric assessments for patients presenting with acute psychiatric presentations in the KRMC Emergency Department and the medical floors
- Provides pharmacotherapy as needed, using best practice protocols for treatment of a heterogenous patient population, including individuals with encephalopathy, delirium, neuropsychiatric sequela from acquired and traumatic brain injury, substance use disorders, schizophrenia, and a range of other psychiatric illnesses
- Collaborates and liaisons with the Medical Staff, masters-level therapists, nursing staff, and safety sitters
- Utilizes best practices in caring for patients who are at-risk for mortality due to suicide and/or the risks associated with substance use disorders – in alignment with Wellstar’s system-wide suicide prevention and opioid stewardship initiatives.
- Makes recommendations and clinical decisions regarding appropriate inpatient and outpatient care
- Provides quality psychiatric care to patients in a safe and efficient manner
- Agrees to cooperate with, participate in, and comply with, the quality assurance, risk management and peer review programs, grievance procedures and utilization control mechanisms implemented by the Medical Group and its Affiliates.
- Documents clearly and efficiently in the medical record (i.e. Epic)
- On an as-needed basis, may support patient needs through the use of a telepsychiatry platform
Administrative Responsibilities (20%)
The Medical Director of Kennestone Psychiatry provides direct oversight for a group of psychiatrists and psychiatric nurse practitioners who support the inpatient needs of the KRMC. The Medical Director will support both the inpatient medical floor and Emergency Department to help develop an integrated service that sets the standard for consultation-liaison psychiatry across the greater Atlanta area.
Leader as Coach & Collaborator
- Holds daily huddles with the KRMC behavioral health team to coordinate care
- Holds regular business meetings (at least monthly) with KRMC psychiatry providers to discuss systems/patient flow quality, mitigate barriers to patient access, improve patient satisfaction, and optimize the experience of the KRMC psychiatry team
- Builds effective relationships with other BH clinical/medical directors (e.g.’s Medical Director of Cobb Psychiatry, Director of Neuropsychology, and Director of Health Psychology)
- Meets with KRMC Medical Staff leaders to identify opportunities to improve access, reduce length of stay and hospital readmissions, etc.
- Meets regularly with Wellstar’s Chief Behavioral Health Officer (CBHO) to review progress and performance of Kennestone BH services
- Collaborates effectively with the Medical Group psychiatry practice manager and other operational leaders
- Provides mentorship and professional development opportunities for KRMC team members
- Develops methods to support team member well-being, addressing drivers of burnout and ensuring that clinicians have the resources necessary to fulfill job responsibilities
- Holds crucial conversations with team members with performance improvement opportunity
Leader as Creator
- Makes recommendations to CBHO regarding strategic growth opportunities for the KRMC
- Identifies opportunities to improve access to psychiatric services within the KRMC submarket and support GME training needs (e.g., Wellstar’s IM GME program)
- Adopts innovative care models to support the inpatient needs of the Kennestone submarket
- Works with the CBHO and other clinical leaders to develop pathways that improve access to needed care across the inpatient-outpatient continuum
Leader as Competitor
- Directs the day-to-day psychiatric services occurring at the KRMC
- Sets annual quality and performance goals that raises the standard of psychiatric care
- Partners with other Behavioral Health Service Line directors to attract the top talent and positioning the program for long-term success and brand recognition
- Advances psychiatric services at the KRMC by building recruitment pipelines with the top residency programs in the U.S.
Leader as Coordinator & Monitor
- Establishes productivity standards for the inpatient psychiatry team
- Maintains a staffing model that supports and sustains the inpatient KRMC consultation-liaison service
- Monitors KPIs with clear and measurable performance objectives pertinent to C-L psychiatry, tracking hospital length of stay, 30- and 90-day readmissions, mortality, and other indicators
- Monitors quality and safety indicators that align with Wellstar’s Zero Suicide and other priority clinical initiatives
- Leverages the EMR (Epic) to standardize protocols and reduce practice variation
- Identifies and implements methods to improve practice efficiency
- Provides real-time feedback to physicians and advanced practitioners regarding individual performance related to professional conduct and clinical outcomes
- Manages the quality of care provided by the contracted telepsychiatry service
- Participates in Root Cause Analysis meetings involving KRMC patients
Behavioral Health Service Line Involvement
- Serves as a BH Service Line cabinet member
- Attends all Behavioral Health Service Line cabinet meetings
- Presents practice updates at Behavioral Health Service Line cabinet meetings
- Sits on Wellstar’s Service Line Qualityand/or Safety committee
- Collaborates with the BH Service Line Finance Chair
Required Minimum Education
- completion of a medical degree (MD/DO)
- completion of general ACGME psychiatry residency training program
- license to practice psychiatry in the State of Georgia
- ABPN board-certification
Apply through [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Physician- Medical Director of Kennestone Psychiatry- Marietta, GA. Please also forward a copy of your CV and cover letter to provider recruiter, Beth Guerin at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Physician- Medical Director of Kennestone Psychiatry- Marietta, GA.
- Ambulatory Care
- Behavioral Medicine
- Clinical Works
- Coaching And Mentoring