KBR is seeking a Remote Sensing Science Division Manager in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. KBR is the primary Technical Support Services Contractor (TSSC) to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) for performing work at the Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center (Sioux Falls, SD). The multidisciplinary staff, in partnership with NASA, uses their unique expertise in remote sensing-based science and technologies to carry out research, data acquisition, information access and management and archive preservation to provide satellite ground imagery data to users and science organizations around the world. This effort represents the world's longest continuously acquired collection of space-based moderate-resolution land remote sensing data with over four decades of imagery. Four decades of imagery provides a unique resource for those who work in agriculture, geology, forestry, regional planning, education, mapping, and global change research. Landsat images are also invaluable for emergency response and disaster relief.
The Science Division Manager is a science leadership position that will work with the United States Geological Survey (USGS), NASA and other partners to establish scientific goals and requirements of major EROS Projects/Task Orders and oversee the contract level execution and performance of these driving EROS science objectives:
- Serve as the world’s primary source for land remotely sensed images of the Earth.
- Be authoritative providers of land change science data, information, and knowledge.
- Serve as leaders in understanding how changes in land use, land cover, and condition affect people and nature.
The Science Division Manager will also serve as a primary SGT thought leader towards USGS/EROS science and applications land change science as articulated in the Land Change Monitoring, Assessment, and Projection (LCMAP) vision. LCMAP is leading edge technology that provides a capability to continuously track and characterize changes in land cover, use, and condition and translates this information into assessments of current and historical processes of change in order to support evaluations and decisions relevant to environmental management and policy.
LCMAP represents the foundation for transformative, integrated, and focused science and applications utilizing leading edge technology to generate analysis ready data for scientific advances in mapping, monitoring, and synthesis. (Task Manager 3-4 LC)
Education: Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Earth science, biosciences, geosciences, physics or other directly related field is desired; a Ph.D. is preferred
Experience: 10+ years directly related experience required with a Bachelor’s degree, 8+ years directly related experience desired with a Master’s degree
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform as the primary customer facing interface to the government principal investigators and project managers at the contract/task levels & responsible for working with the customer to determine scope, schedule, & budget necessary to meet requirements for multiple complex science tasks.
- Work with TSSC Human Resource (HR) management to ensure the appropriate staffing & skill sets are available to perform the work.
- Primary responsibility for planning, directing, & monitoring work associated with the contract/task.
- Performs administrative responsibilities for respective staff to ensure success & helps provide a safe & healthy work environment.
- Oversees the management and operations of projects (Task Orders) aligned to the Science Division comprised of full time, part time, onsite and offsite multidisciplinary staff.
- Responsible for strategically managing and facilitating the deployment of TSSC resources in support of current and emerging science requirements across the Contract including development and submittal of proposals, publications and developing interfaces with and leveraging other SGT science support contracts.
- Responsible to effectively lead, coach and mentor Task Managers aligned to the Division and to ensure that all staff are afforded opportunities to develop and advance the careers.
- Interfaces with senior level USGS and TSSC managers relative to definition and implementation of work management processes, identification of performance issues, or opportunities to foster collaboration between projects and branches.
- Supports Task Managers by helping them obtain resources, understand strategic directions, and helps to resolve conflicts and performance issues across projects and Divisions.
- Continually seeks opportunities to improve overall effectiveness and value of technical services provided by the TSSC.
- Performs Project Status Reviews including topics such as work performance, personal management, and customer relations, along with the identification of project and contract level critical issues.
- Ensures employees in the Division perform in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures.
- With the assistance of Human Resources, ensures effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action, when necessary.
- Assists the Program Manager in carrying out contract management responsibilities.
Special Skills/Success Factors:
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of the EROS mission, the strategic plan, its objectives and its relationship to the activities of the Science Branch and Science Division.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification desired; ability to obtain in 1 year required.
- Strong leadership skills, a quality "mentality", and flexibility are required.
- Coaching, mentoring, and staff development processes.
- Skills to effectively review contract performance; ability to discern and communicate sensitive critical issues and support the PMO management team in strategizing solutions for corrective actions.
- Consciously creates a workplace culture that is consistent with the SGT Way and that emphasizes the identified mission, vision, guiding principles, and values of the organization.
- Fosters a spirit of teamwork and unity among the Division’s projects. Facilitates interdepartmental cooperation and shared work.
- Proactivity engages USGS Project Managers to access contractor performance and other issues that could impede TSSC success.
- Ability to negotiate with TSSC managers and USGS customers to get tasks completed within expectations and without compromising science quality.
This position description does not include every duty or responsibility the employee may be asked to perform and nothing in this job description restricts managements’ right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time as circumstances dictate.
Candidates must have strong technical knowledge, excellent communication skills, and a teamwork emphasis. Candidates must also be able to integrate into a highly-skilled team.
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on the KBR website (URL blocked - click to apply).
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/m/f/disabled/veteran.