Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) is an anti-poverty organization that seeks to end homelessness in the New York metropolitan area by the year 2050. We focus our continuum of care to address the most prevalent causes of homelessness: (1) lack of affordable housing; (2) unmet health needs, including but not limited to mental health and substance use; and (3) lack of jobs that create wealth. In each of these areas we strive to incorporate strategies that address issues of racial equity. We know that our clients are confronting longstanding barriers to accessing quality housing, healthcare, and employment. Our programs are designed to ensure that our clients do not have to face these challenges alone.
Now in our second century of serving those in need, VOA-GNY understands what it takes to heal families and individuals who are in crisis and have experienced trauma. We operate and provide services in emergency shelters, transitional housing, and permanent supportive housing for close to 11,000 men, women and children through 65 programs located in New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester annually. We are one of the largest providers of services to families and individuals experiencing homelessness in the Greater New York area, serving survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, and others who have behavioral health or substance use needs. Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC.
'Successful applicants must be vaccinated for COVID-19 before their start date with VOA-GNY, unless you have been approved by VOA-GNY for a medical or religious exception to this requirement.'
The recreation assistant is responsible for the direct supervision of the clients in their assigned area, and for enforcing applicable rules and providing assistance as needed.
Two years of college and one year of related experience or high school diploma and two years of related experience.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
1. Assist with the implementation of scheduled recreational activities and motivate client participation in the recreation program.
2. Monitor the recreational activities to ensure compliance with established regulations.
3. Present appropriate role model for client behavior and comply with relevant policies and procedures of Volunteers of America.
4. De-escalate conflicts among the client population through non-violent intervention.
5. Instruct and demonstrate to groups and individuals the basic rules and finer points of various sports.
6. Issue, collect and account for recreation equipment.
7. Identify and refer those consumers who require medical, social services, and/or other program services to appropriate personnel.
8. Perform other related duties as requested.
Expected Results of Principal Responsibilities:
1. Clients are engaged participants in our recreation programs.
2. Classroom activities are monitored.
3. Learning and growth are promoted.
4. Conflicts are resolved using non-violent intervention and tactics.
5. Student progress is monitored.
6. Equipment are clean and accounted for in inventory.
7. Daily activities are scheduled appropriately.
8. All other related tasks are completed on time and accurately.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in an office and residential environment.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to have visual acuity, talk and hear while communicating with peers, clients and/or vendors. This is an active position and requires sitting, standing, bending and walking. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items up to 20 pounds.
This is a full – time position.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today! Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled/Other Protected Categories.
- Job Family : Childcare & Recreation
- Pay Type : Hourly
- Job Start Date : Monday, October 18, 2021
- Social Work
- Visual Perception