Local Unit & Position Description
Are you ready to use your problem-solving and analytics skills to help key energy stakeholders develop an actionable path to a safe, reliable, equitable, and carbon-free electric grid?
Are you passionate about learning from the experts in the industry while applying your unique, experimental, and innovative ideas to develop the industry's next generation of inspiring solutions?
DNV - Energy Systems' Analytics and Digitalization group is seeking an Economist to join our team. Join our team as we conduct research to understand the impacts and optimize the strategies of utility-scale energy efficiency, demand response, and distributed energy resource programs. This role will involve strategic problem solving by synthesizing your skills in analytics, programming, data visualization, and awareness of industry-relevant topics, to develop on-point analyses, reports, and presentations.
This position is based out of our Madison office, although it is possible that it can be filled out of any DNV US-based office or be remote.
Below we include a list wide range of typical job expectations for this position, however the role can be flexible and versatile. Please consider submitting your application that captures your unique skillsets and talents in ways that you expect would bring value to our team.
What You'll Do
- Brainstorm, design, and execute original analyses that quantify the achieved impacts, forecast potential impacts, and estimate cost-effectiveness of utility-scale energy efficiency, demand response, and distributed energy resources programs
- Forecast site-level consumption using a variety of modeling techniques such as linear regressions, random forest algorithms, artificial neural networks, etc.
- Perform a variety of quality control checks to ensure the accuracy and defensibility of the analysis
- Build visualizations and dashboards to effectively communicate your findings to others
- Work with peer analysts and data scientists to develop best practices for analytics teams
- Interpret the results of data analyses to produce concise, meaningful conclusions and recommendations for client-facing reports and professional papers
- Maintain existing programmed analyses; identify enhancements; track and promote usage across company
- Develop and maintain products that deliver data visualizations/reports to enable users to grasp concepts, identify patterns, and make better business decisions
- Support project plan development and manage tasks and/or projects (including client interactions)
- By understanding and following the energy efficiency and renewable energy markets and regulatory ecosystems, develop, improve, and advance repeatable analytic offerings
- Work with internal staff and subcontractors to meet project objectives
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting workload; managing allocated task budgets; analyzing variances; and initiating corrective actions where necessary
- Interview business stakeholders to identify focus of research and expected project outcome (scope, background, business case, etc.)
Behavior and Communication
- Communicate proactively and effectively with staff all levels to find information, learn new skills, troubleshoot problems, and address complex issues
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Contribute meaningfully to team efforts to achieve group and company goals while providing insight, enthusiasm, and support
- Act as a role model for other staff through your leadership, mentorship, and sharing of knowledge and skills
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times, including in written and verbal communications
- Represent DNV at industry conferences and events, including after-hours activities
What is Required
NOTE: Please submit a 1-page cover letter along with your resume when applying. In your cover letter, please tell us about your experience with research and programming, including the languages with which you are proficient. What types of research methods have you used? Describe a research project in which you have participated and BRIEFLY describe your role, research approach, and results.
- Bachelor's degree in a policy, economics, or analytical discipline
- Prior Experience using MS Office - Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and aptitude for \'connecting the dots\' among different topics and/or sources of information
- An organized, detail-oriented approach and the ability to work independently
- Ability to take direction from multiple people and perform varied tasks
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple deliverables, and remaining flexible
- Most importantly, this individual should display a positive, team-oriented attitude to match our friendly work environment
- Willingness to travel up to 10%, pending COVID-19 risks deemed safe
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
*Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are not available for this position*
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
DNV is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit or business need, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
For more information about your rights under the law, see
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Energy Data Scientist is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity, including providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability. US applicants with a physical or mental disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact the North America Recruitment department ([ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Energy Data Scientist). Information received relating to accommodations will be addressed confidentially.
What We Offer
- Generous paid time off (vacation, sick days, company holidays, personal days)
- Multiple Medical and Dental benefit plans to choose from, Vision benefits
- Spending accounts – FSA, Dependent Care, Commuter
- Benefits, company-seeded HSA
- Special programs – Employee Assistance Program, ID theft protection, and accident and critical illness options for you and your family
- Employer-paid, therapist-led, virtual care services through
- 401(k) with company match
- Company provided life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability benefits
- Tuition assistance
- Consumer discounts and rewards
- Flexible work schedule with hybrid/remote opportunities
- Advancement opportunities**Benefits vary based on position, tenure, location, and employee election**
As required by the Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Act and New York City Salary Transparency Law, DNV provides a reasonable range of compensation for roles that may be hired in Colorado or New York City. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and specific office location. For the state of Colorado and New York City, NY only, the range of starting pay for this role is $85,000-$143,000USD
Please visit our website at www.dnv.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement, and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.
- Artificial Neural Networks
- Attention To Detail
- Coaching And Mentoring