Why you should work with us? Because within DNV GL - Energy's Renewables Advisory group, organizational culture, and more specifically how we collectively influence the world for future generations, matters deeply to us. Our team works every day to increase the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society; endeavors to achieve our purpose through the success of our customers; and strives to be high-performing and innovative. Our approach reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world.
DNV GL – Energy is seeking a Junior Analyst- Solar Energy Assessment to join our team. The primary function of this position is to assess the solar resource and expected energy output of proposed or operational solar projects across North America.This position may be based in any of our Renewables Advisory offices in North America. Preferred locations are Oak Brook, IL; San Diego, CA; or Oakland, CA.
Tasks May Include
- Conducting long-term resource and energy production assessments
- Analyzing climatic data and operational production and performance data from solar plants
- Working across all scales of solar including residential, commercial and industrial, and utility-scale
- Inspecting sites and measurement equipment
- Predicting energy production
- Conducting statistical uncertainty analyses
- Writing technical reports and communicating results to customers
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant engineering, atmospheric science, or quantitative field required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Without Master's degree, 1+ years professional experience in solar resource assessment or modeling required
- Fundamental understanding of solar resource variability and its impact on energy estimates
- Previous experience as a renewable energy consultant, developer or EPC preferred
- Understanding of renewable energy industry measurement techniques and standards preferred
- Understanding of solar energy project execution and finance preferred
- Familiarity with Python programming, Python data science packages (e.g. NumPy and pandas) and version control systems (e.g. Git) are pluses
- Proficient working with MS Office Word/Excel
- Fundamental understanding of solar modeling principles, including familiarity with PVSyst and SAM
- Experience in uncertainty and statistical data analysis
- Fundamental understanding of data analysis tools (Python, R, SQL, Matlab, etc.)
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time and to approach tasks with a Customer-centric mindset. This is a seller-doer role, which requires both technical rigor and commercial acumen. Preferred candidates will have a high curiosity and desire to learn
- Ability to write technical reports and commercial correspondence to verbally convey information in a clear and concise manner in English.
- At DNV GL safety is paramount. The ideal candidate will have a strong health, safety and environmental mindset
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 10% of the time
- Meet physical requirements such as sitting for long periods of time when working in the office and ability and willingness to occasionally be exposed to outside weather conditions when travelling to assigned project site locations (typical travel time is approximately 3 days every 2-4 months)
We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Junior Analyst - Solar Energy Assessment visit our website at www.dnvgl.comCompany & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Python (Programming Language)