Position Overview: The Medical Assistant performs administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of a licensed personnel. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by licensed personnel.
* Obtain health related information from newly admitted patients as indicated.
* Assist in the performance of medical safety searches.
* Ensure patient and environmental safety per monitoring processes, e.g., Unit Safety and Patient Rounds.
* Maintain a clean, safe environment for facility personnel, patients and their families.
* Stock and maintain nursing units with necessary supplies.
* Provide the Licensed Nurse with patient information to assist him/her in the daily evaluation and planning of patient care.
* Report significant findings: e.g., notable changes in patient's physical or mental condition to licensed personnel.
* Under the direction of a licensed professional, assist in provision of care as indicated in the interdisciplinary treatment/ recovery plan.
* Closely monitor patients on special observational status; report and record behavioral changes.
* Assist patient with ADLs as needed.
* Collect and label laboratory specimens as directed in the policy and procedure manual.
* Implement the mission, values and philosophy of the nursing department in all aspects of patient care delivery.
* Assist the licensed nurse in the implementation of the nursing process to patient care.
* Perform all duties in a cost-efficient manner by the judicious use of supplies and the safe guarding of equipment.
* Assist the licensed nurse with patient/family teaching as directed.
* Participate in performance improvement and quality assurance activities.
* Utilize effective communication skills in interacting with all consumers, including patients, their families and members of the multidisciplinary team. Reports changes state to the licensed nurse.
* Assist in orientation of new personnel.
* Develop a rapport with co-workers that is conducive to effective teamwork and patient care.
Education and Experience:
* Current State CMA certification. Acceptable standing with the Nurse Aide Registry as applicable and one-year experience working with addiction services;
* Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
* Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
* Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
* Customer Service: Demonstrates concern for meeting internal and external customers' needs in a manner that provides satisfaction for the customer within the resources that can be made available.
* Problem Solving: Identifies problems, involves others in seeking solutions, conducts appropriate analysis, searches for best solutions; responds quickly to new challenges.
* Communication Proficiency: Comfortable using a broad range of communication styles, and ability to choose appropriate, effective ways to communicate to different audiences in diverse situations.
* Flexibility: Is open to change and new information; adapts behavior and work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles. Adjusts rapidly to new situations warranting attention and resolution.
* Decision-making: makes good decisions based on sound understanding and evaluation of relevant information; gathers information and involves others as appropriate
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Travel: Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Complex Problem Solving