To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Ontario, CA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
P/T JAIL OFFICER
GEO Corrections & Detentions (A GEO Company) • Ontario, CA
Posted 2 months ago
Facility: Ontario City Jail
Compensation Base: $12.00
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is responsible for participating in the daily operations of the jail which includes booking and releasing offenders, maintaining security of the facility, and escorting offenders within or outside the secure confines of the jail. In addition, this position supervises offender activities, dispenses medications, effectively manages volatile and violent offenders, and operates a master control center and may complete a number of clerical duties.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direct supervision of offenders within the housing areas of the jail. This includes direct supervision of all offender activities, security checks, medication distribution, and random or scheduled housing and cell searches. In addition, escorts offenders within the secure perimeter of the jail as assigned.
- Provides transportation to court or local County Jail. May also pick up warrant arrest from another City Jail.
- May be assigned to another city jail for assistance on special details.
- Communicates effectively with a varied population of offenders, including individuals from diverse ethnic, racial, cultural and economic backgrounds. This may include persons for whom English is not a primary language, persons with developmental and learning disorders, or individuals with a wide variety of psychiatric and physical disorders.
- May accurately dispense prescription medications to offenders during medication delivery, verify the accuracy of medical orders listed on medication sheets and packets. In addition, removes the correct medication dose, observes offenders taking the medication, and records the medication dose taken on the medication report sheet.
- Completes efficiently and accurately corrections paperwork including but not limited to booking, medication, and release records, reports; logs, requests, memos and rosters. In addition assists in completing clerical and reception work to support facility programs as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the following co-workers, outside agencies, and members of the public.
- Responds to emergencies in the jail, which may include the following offender assaults, fires, riots, offender disturbances, explosions, natural disasters, and hostage conditions in order to control and secure the units and offenders. This may involve the use of appropriate levels of force through physical management of combative, volatile, hostile and assaultive offenders.
- Operate a variety of equipment including computers, printers, and fingerprint machines, digital imaging computers, physical restraint devices, firearms, radios, fire extinguishers, intercom systems, telephones, and equipment found in the central control booth.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required.
- College coursework and advanced training in behavioral sciences, correctional services or related field preferred. Training in cultural diversity or sensitivity preferred.
- Possession of applicable state requisites for employment.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
- Ability to handle physical and mental stress associated with working extended hours.
- Must be able to regularly report to work without being late.
- Ability to be physically alert on any shift that is assigned.
- Ability to work up to sixteen (16) hours within a rolling 24 hour period.
- Work experience in a correctional setting preferred.
- May be required to possess valid state driver’s license.
- Must be mature, flexible, able to command the respect and confidence of inmates or detainees and staff, philosophically committed to the objectives of the facility, and possess a high tolerance to mental stress.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.