Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Background, Duties, Experience, Skills, Requirements, and Information:
This position is located in the Test Management Branch of the Range Operations Division at the Atlantic Test Ranges (ATR), Patuxent River, Maryland. Duties will be performed in support of the ATR Range Safety Office and will include range safety planning and guidance, hazard analysis, documentation development, and real-time operational support.
- Develop general hazard control procedures and deliver or update range safety guidance documents.
- Develop project-specific range safety planning documents in support of test or training programs on the range.
- Develop and improve range safety risk management of unmanned air vehicle testing.
- Provide support to the Range Safety Team during range events IAW Range Safety Policy, approved range safety guidance documents, and specific planning documents associated with this test or training event.
- Qualify as a Mission Range Safety Officer whose duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts as the range safety representative for all programs conducted on the Atlantic Test Ranges.
- Conducts range safety analyses and evaluations, develops safety policies and procedures and grants range safety approval prior to projects being scheduled and tested.
- Conducts comprehensive reviews of project test plans and procedures to determine hazards. Reviews technical documentation for test programs to assure comprehensive, systematic safety solutions commensurate with basic range safety philosophy.
- Responsible for real-time range safety operational support for test missions conducted on Atlantic Test Ranges. Observes range safety procedures during test missions to evaluate compliance with current safety policy and directives. Augments other ranges with range safety support for specific test and training events when appropriate.
- Consults with project offices to acquire and retain up-to-date knowledge of their weapon systems in order to promote and maintain efficient working relations within the range safety functional area. Conducts training programs on range safety for personnel and other organizations as required.
- The incumbent coordinates and conducts technical efforts in safety studies or analysis efforts concerning projects being considered for test on the Atlantic ranges. Initiates and performs research efforts for the specification of safety criteria and techniques to be employed for preparation of safety annexes for all project directives depicting safety limits, destruction boundaries, etc., to be used during test or launch.
- The incumbent advises on the feasibility, suitability, and adaptability of various range safety support systems, and determines and recommends the types and quantity of range instrumentation needed to meet range safety requirements for forthcoming programs.
- The incumbent will support development, certification, and utilization of safety related systems ensuring that they are compliant with higher guidance and best practice.
- Where and when necessary, the incumbent will evaluate the risk and develop COAs, recommendations, waivers, safety cases, and associated range safety documentation to support Risk decisions by the Range Safety Officer and/or Range Commander.
- Accomplishes preliminary planning and organization in coordination with a project team or with a technical or scientific organization. Determines the data required for the studies and the feasibility of testing the system at Patuxent River.
- Develops methods to avoid safety related delays in range operations, which may be costly and tend to impede progress of weapons systems development. Remains cognizant of the cost factors associated with range safety requirements. Recommends to project managers alternative approaches to problems, offering a selection of options relative to resources.
- Serves as a civilian consultant on range safety matters. Maintains contact with engineering/technical personnel/contractors to provide technical advice to overcome problems related to range safety. Provides technical consultant services to project managers, project engineers, program managers, and other personnel on highly complex range missions. Consultant duties include recommendation of operating concepts, and review of technical proposals.
- Applicants for this position must have a minimum of 6 years’ experience associated with engineering functions related to development, test, or evaluation of instrumentation systems and should possess an academic and work experience background in such areas as preparation of technical and operational test plans, prosecution of sophisticated tests, certification of systems, logistic support planning, technical data review, and analytical interpretation of test results.
- Must have at least 4 years’ technical engineering experience, which may include areas such as radar systems, electronic warfare, communications, aircraft electrical systems, aircraft instrumentation systems, telemetry systems, computer software/hardware, automated data processing systems, and computer systems interfacing.
- Experience in the practical application of range safety principles, hazard pattern development and analysis, and real-time operational safety hazard evaluation is a must.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license.
Note: This job description describes the general nature of the duties and requirements of the job.
It is not intended to be an exhaustive list or to limit the supervisor's ability to modify work assignments as appropriate.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Life/AD&D/STD/LTD Insurance
- Tuition and Training Assistance Program
- Wellness Program & Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave & 10 Paid Holidays
- Mobile Phone Service Discounts
- Discounted Gym Memberships
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
URL blocked - click to apply
URL blocked - click to apply
Computer Control Systems
Proportional Integral Derivative (Closed Loop Control)