DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
The Autism Society of America—the oldest and most distinguished organization serving the Autism Community—is seeking a Director of Development to oversee fundraising operations and initiatives, with the aim of realizing an expanding vision.
Working directly with the President and CEO, Executive Team, and Board of Directors, the Director of Development will lead fundraising with a particular focus on direct response, mid-level giving, and major giving.
The Director of Development will also collaborate with the President and CEO to devise a growth plan for the fundraising team, aimed at: (1) bringing on capacity for corporate, government, and foundation giving and (2) cultivate a culture of collaborative fundraising across the organization.
Finally, the Director of Development will refine and oversee fundraising operations including establishing best practices in gift entry, tracking donor interactions, and reporting.
This is an ideal position for someone who is looking to grow their career in fundraising. A seasoned Annual Fund Manager, Major Gift Officer, or Membership Director can apply their current expertise while broadening their leadership, planning, project management, and fundraising skills. They will have the opportunity to work with a President and CEO with more than 30 years in fundraising, as well as other experts in the field.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the President and CEO on a long-term growth plan for fundraising, including strategies, capacity needs, goals, and benchmarks.
- Develop and execute annual fundraising plans, including targets, priorities, criteria for evaluating unexpected opportunities and challenges, and fundraising budgets.
- Manage a portfolio of existing and prospective donors, which will likely be a mix of major donors, mid-level donors, and foundations.
- Communicate targets, goals, and priorities for fundraising to the executive team, Development Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Development Committee comprising board members and other ambassadors for the Autism Society.
- Collaborate with the marketing team on building stewardship communications, with a focus on active and prospective major donors.
- Oversee a growing fundraising team, including the creation of job descriptions, hiring, and setting expectations.
- Vet and oversee vendors, including direct response consultants, grant writers, and special events coordinators.
- Audit and refine fundraising operations, with a focus on creating protocols for project management, tracking donor interactions, prospect research, and devising reporting mechanisms to the executive team and board of directors.
- Oversee special fundraising projects as identified in collaboration with the President and CEO.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- At least seven years in fundraising, ideally with a focus on major donor engagement, planning and execution of annual funds, and/or direct response.
- At least two years experience in managing a team.
- Demonstrated success in exceeding fundraising goals.
- Demonstrated ability in building relationships with donors via all channels of communication (phone, in-person, email, social media).
- Demonstrated success in leading collaborative fundraising, especially with executive teams and a Board of Directors.
- Deep understanding of and proficiency in project management and managing multiple deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- High proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace.
- High proficiency in fundraising CRMs; Salesforce is strongly preferred.
- Must be able to travel to meet with donors, donor prospects, or to present the Autism Society in other capacities.
The position is based in the greater Washington, DC area, but limited hybrid work arrangements are negotiable.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements when applying.
Pay is commensurate to level of experience as outlined above.
- Customer Relationship Management
- Direct Marketing
- Financial Management