PN# 26912: DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - Strategic Partnerships & Initiatives, Organizational Advancement & Departmental RelationsHOUSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Public libraries are trusted community and cultural centers that serve a highly diverse populace. The Houston Public Library (HPL) is a forward-thinking library organization, situated in the nation’s fourth largest city serving a diverse population of 2.2 million people. At Houston Public Library (HPL), we understand that diversity in experiences, perspectives, knowledge and ideas fuels creativity, broadens knowledge, and helps drive success.
HPL is seeking a highly motivated, talented and experienced professional with a forward thinking, inventive mindset to serve as the Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of the Deputy Director – Strategic Partnerships & Initiatives, Organizational Advancement & Departmental Relations.
The Deputy Assistant Director will be responsible for supporting the Deputy Director in the advancement of the department, carrying out of duties related to the Office and oversight of select divisional areas within the Office. The Deputy Assistant Director will participate in system-wide planning and development and will be a member of the executive leadership team.
The successful candidate will possess a commitment to and passion for HPL’s mission and abreast of current trends impacting libraries. The individual we are seeking will have proven successes aligning people, processes and resources and delivering results working within a high-performance environment. The individual will also be a team player, is politically savvy and be able to effectively interface with executive management, partners, community stakeholders, and all levels of staff. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves in the absence of the Deputy Director in the oversight of the Office and operations.
- Works closely with highly dynamic stakeholder teams within the organization and externally.
- Supports Deputy Director with Departmental Liaisons activities for - HPLF, HR, Legal, etc.
- Assists with budget and fiscal management for the Office.
- Hires, supervises, trains, coaches, develops and evaluates subordinates.
- Responds to written, telephone, electronic inquiries, requests, and complaints internally and externally regarding organization, programs and activities.
- Represents the Office and Department at internal and external meetings, conferences, etc.; Maintains active membership in state, regional, and national library and professional associations and organizations.
- Develops, implements and monitors systems and procedures necessary to ensure effective and efficient operations; Regularly reviews external and internal communications policies and develops or suggests revisions as needed.
- Supports Deputy Director with written material and interactive presentations for public speaking engagements, press conferences, or article publications.
- Performs other duties as delegated by the Deputy Director and/or Director including handling issues and information of a highly sensitive and/or of a confidential nature.
For additional information regarding the Houston Public Library please visit: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - Partnerships & Organizational Advancement
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field.
Seven years of progressively more complex/responsible administrative experience are required, with at least three of the years in a supervisory capacity.
A Master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field closely related to the work being performed may be substituted for two years of experience.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Prior library administration and leadership experience at a large urban library
- Prior nonprofit and/or government experience
- Prior experience working with people of diverse backgrounds
- Project Management experience
- Proficiency in applicable technology applications, software and hardware
- Strong and effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience working collaboratively
- Proven experience achieving results
- Bilingual skills
- Ability to work a varied schedule inclusive of evenings and weekends
- Current or recent engagement with applicable professional local, national and/or statewide organizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage change effectively
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
However, the Department may administer a skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
This position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.SALARY INFORMATION
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 30APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - Partnerships & Organizational Advancement.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to DEPUTY ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - Partnerships & Organizational Advancement
If you need special services or accommodations, call
. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
- Business Administration
- Interpersonal Skills